ADVERTISEMENT

Ganz and Bo....was there an issue?

mwulf

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2013
Thigh Land
Thought this tidbit was interesting...Bo is kinda being a jerk....I know I know

Attention any college or high school looking for a quality football coach: Joe Ganz is available. The former Husker quarterback and offensive assistant under Bo Pelini says he still wants to coach. He's going to keep searching through the end of next season, then he might turn his attention elsewhere. That would be too bad. Ganz is a football gym rat, with a keen football mind. He'd be a terrific coach. What about Youngstown State, you say? Ganz thought he might hear from his old coach, Pelini. He called Pelini after he took the YSU job and left a message that he was interested if anything was available. Ganz said last Friday he has yet to hear anything back from Pelini. "I'm kind of shocked," Ganz said.

Shatel Article

I don't know about Joe and Bo but I think Carl used to use Joe as his wingman for picking up females. Kinda weird seeing them trolling for girls back in the day at Grata bar on the south side of Lincoln.

Here's a tweet from him on January 29-ish...

Sometimes you find out the hard way that loyalty is a one way street. #lessonlearned

Few years back I went to a local "recruiting dinner" where Ganz was the "headline". He spent majority of film review mocking Rivals in a bad way and after review, he stroked Pelini non-stop like Bo invented the game. He even singled out a couple HOL administrators which was very uncalled for from someone representing Nebraska. The entire thing was atrocious.

Anyways, I always felt Joe needed to leave Nebraska to better himself as a coach. Was called a hater for stating that a few times. Such a bright mind with a junkyard mentality for the game of football. It's unfortunate he hasn't landed somewhere but he has nobody to blame but himself. I guess one could say a (hard) lesson learned at a young age.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nothing surprises me about Bo after some of the crap I've heard about him. Looks like Ganz learned the hard way.

I am surprised Ganz didn't follow Bo to YSU, however I am even more surprised Ganz hasn't found a spot with his old OC Shawn Watson at Texas. They were two peas in a pod when Watson was here. Regardless, I wish him the best and hope everything works out for him.

People need to understand the ONLY person Bo cares about is himself. Only then do you understand why he makes the completely stupid decisions over and over again.

Joe has had a taste of big time football. But if he wants to make a lifelong career in it, he should go find a lower level job or maybe even high school and spend the next 20 years working his way up to the top.

Ganz thought he might hear from his old coach, Pelini. He called Pelini after he took the YSU job and left a message that he was interested if anything was available. Ganz said last Friday he has yet to hear anything back from Pelini. "I'm kind of shocked," Ganz said.
If only there was a word to use to describe soemone that doesn't communicate with his coaches. Hmmmm. What was it that Bo called SE for the same thing? Hmmmmm. Tip of my tongue.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:

Anyways, I always felt Joe needed to leave Nebraska to better himself as a coach. Was called a hater for stating that a few times. Such a bright mind with a junkyard mentality for the game of football. It's unfortunate he hasn't landed somewhere but he has nobody to blame but himself. I guess one could say a (hard) lesson learned at a young age.
I think I remember you posting that, and you are absolutely right. Not just for Joe Ganz, but for EVERY coach that has goals of being in the profession for a long time. The best thing he could do is not follow Bo to YSU, but to venture out and learn from other coaches. Not because Bo is a bad coach, but there are so many other philosophies and great coaching minds to learn from. Bo not calling him back is probably the best thing for him.

Originally posted by HBK4life:

I don't know about Joe and Bo but I think Carl used to use Joe as his wingman for picking up females. Kinda weird seeing them trolling for girls back in the day at Grata bar on the south side of Lincoln.
Sounds like a real tool. Glad he's outta Lincoln.

Originally posted by gldnglv165:

I think I remember you posting that, and you are absolutely right. Not just for Joe Ganz, but for EVERY coach that has goals of being in the profession for a long time. The best thing he could do is not follow Bo to YSU, but to venture out and learn from other coaches. Not because Bo is a bad coach, but there are so many other philosophies and great coaching minds to learn from. Bo not calling him back is probably the best thing for him.
He needs to have a better example above him for how to conduct himself in the day-to-day. Is it any wonder he was up there ripping on rivals and HOL considering who the head man was and how much he hates recruiting services? Let him go find an actual grown man to work for and learn that having an ax to grind is only helpful if you're a lumberjack.

Sometimes you find out the hard way that loyalty is a one way street. #lessonlearned

Few years back I went to a local "recruiting dinner" where Ganz was the "headline". He spent majority of film review mocking Rivals in a bad way and after review, he stroked Pelini non-stop like Bo invented the game. He even singled out a couple HOL administrators which was very uncalled for from someone representing Nebraska. The entire thing was atrocious.

This is accurate. I mentioned this on the RSS today as well. Before he became a GA for us, Norvell wanted him/offered him a GA spot at Oklahoma, which I felt like was a mistake at the time to turn down. Bo needed to go, and had his faults, but Joe's lack of coaching employment is on him alone.

He's loved being "Former QB Joe Ganz" in the Lincoln/Omaha area too much. Case in point, seeing him out at bars the night before games on the road. All of the intellgence and charisma to be a good coach, but just doesn't understand the career drive.

As much as he gets thrown under the bus, look at the hustle John Papuchis (volunteering at HS, writing letters, taking different GA roles) had to break into coaching. If Joe had that attitude the sky would be the limit.

pms, in his defense, he was promised by Beck and Pelini. IMO, that's where come of his hostility may come from.
Understandable. Circumstances change, and he probably should have known better than to put all his eggs in one basket. Only speaking from being around him in college and a handful of times since, if he applied 5% of his charisma he could be a hell of a coach/recruiter, and get probably get a job with marginal effort.

If you want to be a coach, why not volunteer at a local HS or try to be a GA somewhere? Bo and Beck aren't, shouldn't be his only connections. A little effort goes a long way.

Would be great if he could go out and gain experience and be a part of our program's coaching tree down the road.

Again, if Papuchis can do it.....

I think I have read this somewhere recently "That's not the Nebraska way, or how you treat good people". Problem is, some people are confused what a "good" person is lately.

Originally posted by pms186:

This is accurate. I mentioned this on the RSS today as well. Before he became a GA for us, Norvell wanted him/offered him a GA spot at Oklahoma, which I felt like was a mistake at the time to turn down. Bo needed to go, and had his faults, but Joe's lack of coaching employment is on him alone.

He's loved being "Former QB Joe Ganz" in the Lincoln/Omaha area too much. Case in point, seeing him out at bars the night before games on the road. All of the intellgence and charisma to be a good coach, but just doesn't understand the career drive.

As much as he gets thrown under the bus, look at the hustle John Papuchis (volunteering at HS, writing letters, taking different GA roles) had to break into coaching. If Joe had that attitude the sky would be the limit.
I think often times it is tough for a lot of those ex-players to leave that Lincoln/Omaha area and I really can't blame them.

Can attest to him loving the "former Husker QB" title around Lincoln/Omaha in order to try and get tail. Don't blame him at all.

He comes off as a tool to some, and he probably he is to some extent, but he's a decent/fun/cool guy. Just trying to get it while he can.

I agree with PMS though, not really 110% dedicated to his craft, which you need to be to get into coaching.

I thought Joe saying that about Bo was not a wise move. You should keep that kind of stuff to yourself. It doesn't make either person look good.

Originally posted by The Dankness:
Can attest to him loving the "former Husker QB" title around Lincoln/Omaha in order to try and get tail. Don't blame him at all.

He comes off as a tool to some, and he probably he is to some extent, but he's a decent/fun/cool guy. Just trying to get it while he can.

I agree with PMS though, not really 110% dedicated to his craft, which you need to be to get into coaching.
Exactly, stay and embrace it...he can always get a radio gig or some sales job where he tells Husker stories and sells "something"

Exactly, stay and embrace it...he can always get a radio gig or some sales job where he tells Husker stories and sells "something"
Problem is that they arent actually always true....Josh Freeman story comes to mind

Originally posted by HuskerNinja:
Joe has had a taste of big time football. But if he wants to make a lifelong career in it, he should go find a lower level job or maybe even high school and spend the next 20 years working his way up to the top.
That's fine and dandy, but if you want to make the big bucks it is all about the career path. Use contacts, get a paid gig at the D-1 level and go from there. With Joe's personality, I think he would make a good coach.

Just checked Pelini's staff at YTS and over 50% of the assistant coaches remained on staff after the coaching transition. Guessing Tressel had some recommendations for Bo in that regard. Brought in Coach Brown, TJ Hollowell, Coach Brye for TEs with the GA's, the Strength and Conditioning staff and much of the support staff remaining the same. By the way, though it is true GAs have only three years at one institution, they can start all over fresh at another institution in the same capacity. But whether it be Nebraska, Texas, YTS there has to be an opening on staff. Timing in coaching is everything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT