ADVERTISEMENT

Game 7: #3 Michigan 8-5 over #2 Iowa

saluno22

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2006
I'm heading out to grab a beer with a former coworker. If someone wants to do summaries, please go ahead.

Loser to face Indiana (33-21) at 3:30pm tomorrow (BTN) in an elimination game.
Winner advances to Saturday's 1pm game (BTN) against the winner of tomorrow's 7:30pm game between Michigan State and the loser of Game 8 (Maryland vs. Illinois 9pm tonight BTN).

The remainder of the tournament is on BTN.

Let's pick up the action in the middle of the 2nd...

UM 0 2 - 2R 4H 0E 4LOB
Iowa 1 _ - 1R 1H 0E 0LOB

Hickman (Iowa) has been beaten up a bit early: 2 IP, 4H, 2R, 2ER, 2BB, 1K, 56 pitches (25/31)
Nutof (UM; hard not to laugh at the name): 1 IP, 1H, 1R, 1ER, 0BB, 1SO 18 pitches (9/9)

Bot 2: Iowa

Nutoff P for UM

Potempa pop up to 2B
Roscetti K swinging
Frankos 5-3

2-1 UM

Hickman has not had it vs Michigan this year, not really sure what the reasoning is. He was 7-0 in B1G play. The one no-decision was a bad outing vs Michigan.

Top 3: Iowa

Hickman P for Iowa

Benedetti walks
PITCHING CHANGE: Erickson (Hickman only faced 13 batters: 2 IP, 4H, 2R, 2ER, 3BB, 1K, responsible for Benedetti) EDIT: Hickman 3R, 3ER with the Benedetti run.
Benedetti to 2nd on passed ball
Bruder 1-3, Benedetti to 3rd. Hard hit off Erickson's left ankle, who recovers to find the ball and toss to first. Quick visit to mound to make sure he's okay. Good to go. 1 out.
*** Maezes single up the middle past diving 2B, Benedetti scores to make it 3-1 Michigan
White P-8 shallow CF. 2 out.
Slater 4-3 to end the top half.

3-1 Michigan

Side note: Lots of grumbling among the scouts behind home plate over Hickman's lackluster performance.

Crowd pics from Top 3...
N7ZoDGE.jpg

boJWmpX.jpg

More people are starting to figure out the existence of the cushioned seats. They should know these are for the MLB scouts and Saluno only! ;)

Pretty good Iowa contingent here tonight.

Bot 3: Iowa

Nutof P for UM

Booker 4-3. 1 out.
Day F-8. 2 out.
Toole K swinging to end the inning.

3-1 Michigan. Very quick work by Nutof.

Top 4: UM

Erickson P for Iowa

Patrick Solo HR to LF extends lead to 4-1.
Cronenworth single thru the left side.
Bivens sac bunt 3-4. Cronenworth to 2nd. 1 out.
Glines singles past 2B (2B shifted toward right side), Cronenworth scores to extend lead to 5-1.
Benedetti 4-6-3 double play ends the top half.

5-1 Michigan

Wind still blowing at a moderate pace from LF to RF, just like game 6.

Bot 4: Iowa

Nutof P for UM

Mangler F-9. 1 out.
Peyton chopper to 1B, 3-1. 2 out.
Goodman single to LF.
-Goodman stole 2nd (late throw).
Potempa K looking to end the inning.

5-1 Michigan

Gotta love the commercial breaks where the ump, catcher, batter, and pitcher all stare at the TV coordinator adjacent to the visitor's dugout for a full minute waiting to get back to play.

Top 5: UM

Erickson P for Iowa

Bruder reaches 1st on misplayed fly ball by diving CF. Awarded a single because the ball was low-flying and lost in the sun/shade transitions.
Maezes K swinging. 1 out.
-Bruder takes 2nd on wild pitch, errant throw to 2nd goes to the outfield allowing Bruder to advance to 3rd.
White sac fly to LF; Bruder tags from 3rd, trucks through the catcher (Frankos) blocking as the ball arrives instead of sliding and scores to extend the lead to 6-1. 2 out.
-Frankos is shaken up and leaves the game. Moriel replaces Frankos behind the plate.
<No replay shown in the stadium, happened so fast I didn't exactly see what happened>
Slater 4-3 ends the top half.

6-1 Michigan

Bot 5: Iowa

Nutof P for UM

Roscetti L-5. 1 out.
Moriel F-4. 2 out.
Booker K looking to end the inning.

6-1 Michigan.

Protest by Booker on the called 3rd strike, and I don't blame him. It was very inside from my angle.

I would've done the same if I'd seen it in person.
That being said, let me give props to the Metro Transit system in the Twin Cities. Very happy the train and bus system will take me to a short walk back to the hotel.

Top 6: Michigan

Erickson P for Iowa

Patrick 4-3. 1 out.
Cronenworth singles over the outstreched SS glove into LF.
Bivens walks, Cronenworth to 2nd.
Glines F-9. Had RF been paying attention, he had a chance to double up Bivens at 1st as he strayed almost all the way to 2nd on the fly out. 2 out.
Benedetti L-7, sliding catch to end the top half.
--Scratch that, Benedetti awarded 1st on catcher's interference (E-2) to load the bases; Cronenworth to 3rd, Bivens to 2nd, 2 out.--
Bruder 3 unassisted to end the top half.

6-1 Michigan

Iowa sent a handful of pitchers to the bullpen during the Glines plate appearance.

Bot 6: Iowa

Nutof P for UM

Day F-9, tracked it all the way to the corner. 1 out.
Toole 3 unassisted. 2 out.
Mangler single up the middle.
Peyton double to the RF gap, Mangler to 3rd.
-UM coach visits mound at 1-0 in Goodman plate appearance.
*** Goodman single to RF, Mangler scores, Peyton scores to trim deficit to 6-3 UM.
*** Potempa double over 3B to LF corner, Goodman scores hustling all the way from 1st. 6-4 UM. LF seemed to have trouble getting a handle on the ball.
PITCHING CHANGE: Lozer
-Nutof: 5.2 IP, 6H, 4R, 4ER, 0BB, 5K, 84 pitches (32/52)
-Loudmouth Iowa woman getting obnoxious during pitching change. Seems frustrated with pace of play and the lack of urgency to get the game rolling again.
Roscetti K swinging, ball in dirt, 2-3 to end the inning.

6-4 Michigan

Last edited:
Top 7: Michigan

Erickson P for Iowa

Maezes reaches on E-5. Hit a slow bouncer to 3B, where the ball bounced off the heel of his glove. 3rd Iowa error tonight.
-Maezes advances to 2nd on passed ball.
White clubs a single to LF, Maezes to 3rd.
PITCHING CHANGE: Radtke
-Erickson: 4 IP, 7H, 3R, 2ER, 1BB, 1K, 85 pitches (28/57)
<Equal opportunist here: UM fan also made loud obnoxious remark during the pitching change, but followed it up with a witty remark that drew laughter from both fan bases.>
-White takes 2nd when C fakes to hold Maezes on 3rd.
Slater fouls out to 3B. 1 out.
*** Patrick SAC-9 deep near the warning track, Maezes tags from 3rd to score, White tags from 2nd to 3rd. 7-4 Michigan.
Cronenworth L-7 to end the top half.

7-4 Michigan

How many times can you re-enter after leaving? I believe it was once last year in Omaha.
I've only re-entered once. Instead of scanning, the gatekeeper used a marker to indicate something. Not sure what the letters and numbers mean.

That's what the lady did at the LF gate near the train station at least.

Bot 7: Iowa

PITCHING CHANGE: Ogden for Michigan.

Moriel F-8. 1 out.
Booker 1-3. 2 out.
Day K swinging to end the inning.

7-4 Michigan

7-pitch (2/5) inning for Ogden.

Top 8: Michigan

Radtke P for Iowa

Bivens walks.
Glines reaches on 4-6 FC, beats throw to 1st. Bivens forced out. 1 out.
Benedetti L-9, Glines almost doubled up at 1st but the throw was off. 2 out.
*** Bruder lines a double over 3B down the LF line, bounce off the angled wall allows Glines to score all the way from 1st. 8-4 Michigan.
Maezes F-7 to end the top half.

8-4 Michigan

Iowa coach held court on the field in the middle of the inning as the team headed back to the dugout.

Bot 8: Iowa

Ogden P for Michigan

Toole 3 unassisted. 1 out.
Mangler 1-3. 2 out.
Peyton 5-3 to end the inning.

8-4 Michigan

Top 9: Michigan

Radtke P for Iowa

White singles to RF.
Slater 9-6 double play. Fly out to RF, White rounded 2nd then retreated back to 1st but missed 2nd on his return. 2 out.
Patrick walks.
Cronenworth 1-3 to end the top half. Great pick by Radtke on a hard hit ball right back at him.
<Cronenworth lost his bat on the 0-1 pitch and it flew 4 rows behind the Michigan dugout.>

8-4 Michigan

Bot 9: Iowa

Ogden P for Michigan

Goodman reaches on E-5 throwing error, advances to 2nd.
Potempa 6-3, Goodman holds at 2nd. 1 out.
Roscetti reaches on E-6 fielding error, Goodman advances to 3rd.
*** Moriel uses Iowa math to try to take a walk on ball 3, then ropes a single to LF, Roscetti to 2nd, Goodman scores. 8-5 Michigan.
PINCH HITTER: Schenk-Joblinske to bat for Booker.
PITCHING CHANGE: Cronenworth
DEFENSIVE CHANGE: Jacobson to 2B for Cronenworth
Schenk-Joblinske K swinging. 2 out
Day fouls out to 1B to end the game.

FINAL: 8-5 Michigan

First game of the tourney to not go chalk.

Iowa (39-15) to face Indiana (33-21) at 3:30pm tomorrow (BTN) in an elimination game.
Michigan (35-23) advances to Saturday's 1pm game (BTN) against the winner of tomorrow's 7:30pm game between Michigan State (34-22) and the loser of Game 8 (Maryland vs. Illinois 9pm tonight BTN).

Hickman isn't very tough mentally. Guy was barely touching 90 after 1st inning. Lots of 86 and 87 fbs and he generally will work at 92-93 amd touch 97.

Having seen him a few times, he can throw hard but his FB has no life. No run or sink. His off speed has improved but he seems to me to just be another guy at the next level.

i am sure he will go in the draft as a junior but will be surprised if he is in top 2 or 3..rounds.

ADVERTISEMENT