ADVERTISEMENT

Five B1G baseball teams got in

gunNrun

Junior
Dec 16, 2007
Lincoln, Nebraska
Illinois got the #6 seed and a regional.
While Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, and conference tournament winner Michigan also got into the tournament. Michigan St was the 3rd team on the "1st 4 teams out" list so really close for Sparty. The Buckeyes were also absent from the tournament names.
Congrats to those B1G teams!

Illinois got the #6 seed and a regional.
While Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, and conference tournament winner Michigan also got into the tournament. Michigan St was the 3rd team on the "1st 4 teams out" list so really close for Sparty. The Buckeyes were also absent from the tournament names.
Congrats to those B1G teams!
Believe it or not, Ohio State's collapse was worse than ours. Their RPI on May 1 was 12 and they were in legit host territory. Then they lost 8 of the last 9 conference games, went two-and-barbecue and missed a regional altogether.

ESPNU has got their hour long college baseball breakdown show 'Road To Omaha' starting at 5:30pm Central Time. It is scheduled for replay.

The Ohio St situation was strange.
But I was still waiting to see a 6th B1G team get in. Didn't happen.
I thought Michigan St played well enough in the B1G tournament to get in. Wonder if having the Wolverines get the conference bid knocked Sparty out of post season play?

ESPNU has got their hour long college baseball breakdown show 'Road To Omaha' starting at 5:30pm Central Time. It is scheduled for replay.

The Ohio St situation was strange.
But I was still waiting to see a 6th B1G team get in. Didn't happen.
I thought Michigan St played well enough in the B1G tournament to get in. Wonder if having the Wolverines get the conference bid knocked Sparty out of post season play?

It did indeed. The only way Michigan could get into the regionals was to win the B1G tournament. If that hadn't happened, MSU would have gotten in.

It did indeed. The only way Michigan could get into the regionals was to win the B1G tournament. If that hadn't happened, MSU would have gotten in.

Do we know who the last four out were? Michigan took someone's spot but was it MSU's?

North Carolina, UC Irvine, Nevada, North Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, Michigan St... all were under consideration for the last spot which actually went to Oregon.

Best RPIs left out...
UNC - 28
Georgia Tech - 38
OSU - 41
N Florida - 44
Alabama - 45
Irvine - 47
UCONN - 50
MSU - 51
SE Louisiana - 52
So Miss - 55
Missouri - 56
UCF - 57
Nevada - 58
Duke - 59
Kentucky - 60

Oregon was the worst RPI picked - 62. The holes in this RPI list were filled by misc AQs and a few at-large picks.

Texas also stole an AQ and booted some bubble team. MSU's woes could be blamed on Texas, right?

Do we know who the last four out were? Michigan took someone's spot but was it MSU's?

North Carolina, UC Irvine, Nevada, North Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, Michigan St... all were under consideration for the last spot which actually went to Oregon.

Best RPIs left out...
UNC - 28
Georgia Tech - 38
OSU - 41
N Florida - 44
Alabama - 45
Irvine - 47
UCONN - 50
MSU - 51
SE Louisiana - 52
So Miss - 55
Missouri - 56
UCF - 57
Nevada - 58
Duke - 59
Kentucky - 60

Oregon was the worst RPI picked - 62. The holes in this RPI list were filled by misc AQs and a few at-large picks.

Texas also stole an AQ and booted some bubble team. MSU's woes could be blamed on Texas, right?

Possibly. It's my understanding the a bid was MSU's to lose. If they would have played better in the B1G tourney, but Michigan still managed to win it, it's conceivable that both could have gone, likely leaving Oregon out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT