ADVERTISEMENT

excited about the QB's Langsdorf is visiting

Lincoln100

Head Coach
Jun 16, 2010
Wilson and O'Brien. A little different but both look like they got the tools. Would they take 3 qb's in 2016?

1? If they've got 2 good prospects that want to come here, that would seem to be a mistake.

IIRC, Langsdorf or Riley said once they get their guy, they are done. They aren't a fan of multiple QBs per class. If we only lose 1 to attrition, we will be at 4 scholarship QBs entering '16 + whoever we sign. I don't think 6 scholarship QBs is necessary.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

5 scholarship QBs is probably too many. 4 scholarship guys and at least 1 or 2 walkons would be perfect IMO. That said, if you think a guy is potentially a difference maker, you take him. Even in the days before the 85 limit, I don't remember us carrying 5 scholarship QBs.

What about the 2017 QB with Omaha ties. He is a 5 star I believe. You logjam the QB position, and the kid may look somewhere else. Kids want a chance to play early at QB postion.

Originally posted by jeans15:
What about the 2017 QB with Omaha ties. He is a 5 star I believe. You logjam the QB position, and the kid may look somewhere else. Kids want a chance to play early at QB postion.
I understand this concern, but I disagree with it, especially at these early stages. Who knows if we've got the right guy on the roster right now. If Reilly & Co. are high on 2 guys that fit his system, and they both want N, you don't turn one away because taking him may disuade a 2017 kid. If the 2017 kid doesn't think he will have to compete to get on the field, then not sure we want him. I hope that Reilly can encourage those qb's with little chance of playing time to either move spots or move on.

Reactions: titan16
Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

Wilson and Obrien are not even ranked by rivals so far. Not impressed at all, thought MR would recruit better.
They are recruiting at a different level now. Just kidding.

I think it's good that Langsdorf is looking at a number of guys. Need to find one with the right skills and wants to play for NU.

Wilson and Obrien are not even ranked by rivals so far. Not impressed at all, thought MR would recruit better.
I'm as big of a "star gazer" as there is on these boards but watch O'Brien highlights first. I'll be shocked if he's not 5.8 by January 2016. 6'3 230 with a very good arm. Haven't seen film on Wilson yet.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
Harbaugh is offering almost every kid Riley is pursuing hard and riley is winning his fair share of those battles and someone is disappointed in Riley's recruiting thus far. What a joke. How about we let him field a team (or four)before we're disappointed in anything?

Langsdorf and Riley evaluating QBs >>>>>>>than recruiting services. IF they offer somebody the rankings and offers will follow. Just because they are visiting somebody doesn't mean they have offered.

This happened a lot in the PAC12. Riley would offer kids and Harbaugh and others would offer soon after

Originally posted by ssmith84:
IIRC, Langsdorf or Riley said once they get their guy, they are done. They aren't a fan of multiple QBs per class. If we only lose 1 to attrition, we will be at 4 scholarship QBs entering '16 + whoever we sign. I don't think 6 scholarship QBs is necessary.
Didn't Riley take three quarterbacks in his last recruiting class at OSU? Also, weren't there seven scholarship quarterbacks at OSU going into this spring?

This post was edited on 4/20 10:36 AM by Tulsa Tom

Hopefully they're just being diplomatic about that. You'd hate to see them stick with one kid all year and then be stuck holding the bag if he switches in December.

Fair points Tulsa. I had seen it mentioned by multiple media folks that Riley and company prefer to get "their guy" and build a class around him. Its also worth noting that you have to go back to 2009 before that to find a multiple QB year. I don't know if we can draw any conclusions from that. Maybe they like to get their guy and the hedge with another QB later. Who knows.

To the 2nd point, that wasn't a statement about how many QBs Riley prefers to carry. I don't see the need for 6 scholarship QBs. A bunch of scholarship QBs indicates to me that you have too many average to good QBs and no great QB.

Fair points Tulsa. I had seen it mentioned by multiple media folks that Riley and company prefer to get "their guy" and build a class around him. Its also worth noting that you have to go back to 2009 before that to find a multiple QB year. I don't know if we can draw any conclusions from that. Maybe they like to get their guy and the hedge with another QB later. Who knows.

To the 2nd point, that wasn't a statement about how many QBs Riley prefers to carry. I don't see the need for 6 scholarship QBs. A bunch of scholarship QBs indicates to me that you have too many average to good QBs and no great QB.
Agreed on all points. I think four is a good number carry.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:

Agreed on all points. I think four is a good number carry.
How good does the staff think the current qb's are (or potential)? The answer to that question influences recruiting new qb's. At least that's my conclusion, it boils down to "need" or perceived "need". Having 6 qb's is not the determining factor. Having 6 GOOD qb's, or 2 GOOD or 0 GOOD, will influence how many qb's we add.

4 is low. That shows me you aren't recruiting the QB position seriously enough. Just consider the strikeout rate even with good recruits. How do you have competition with 4 QBs? At least one of the QBs is probably not in the picture as a true or redshirt freshman. Maybe another one is a bust and then you don't have much of a battle.

5 is a better number. 6 is fine -- there will just be transfers at some point, but that is inevitable, even with 4 or 5 QBs. One QB every class. 2 once in a while if you believe in the players or the situation calls for it.

We have had some with good potential, walk-on over the years. Coach Riley had some success in that department; but it is said about a 40% scolie failure rate on rated players, so all are making good points.

I'm as big of a "star gazer" as there is on these boards but watch O'Brien highlights first. I'll be shocked if he's not 5.8 by January 2016. 6'3 230 with a very good arm. Haven't seen film on Wilson yet.
I admit his film looks legit 5.8, but I thought the same with Kevin Dillman. All fair points, definitely trust MR and Langsdorf.

WOW! Get him!!!!

So let me get this straight... You claim neither player has a Rivals profile. I reply back and illustrate the error in your post, and now you try to flippantly respond with sarcasm?

If you don't like the recruiting or the recruiting of these 2 QB's that's your right. But when your point is bitch slapped for false claims, sit up and take it like an adult.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT