ADVERTISEMENT

Commit #4 is N!

Looks like a good pickup at a position of need. Welcome aboard!

Does anybody know how many years we have him? 3 to play 2?

Yahtzee-Slot-Logo-Williams-Interactive.jpg

I like his film. Great closing speed and plays sideline to sideline. Also solid form on open field tackles. You can never have too many athletes. It really helps that he is a Dec graduate. Being here for spring ball should really help his chances of making an impact in the fall.

Looks like solid 4.8/4.9 speed. Waiting on our film expert to verify the 40 time though.

I don't get the joke.

As for his speed, he's in the 4.6 range. At 6'3 225, that's significant. I'm not sure if they are recruiting him as a SAM or a MIKE.

Speaking of speed, there is a prevailing theme with Adrienne Talan, Mohammad Barry, Dedrick Young, Tyrin Ferguson, and now William Johnson. They are all explosive linebackers who run well from sideline to sideline. If Bo was still here:

Mohammad Barry signs with Miami
Adrienne Talan picks TCU or Pitt
Tyrin Ferguson sticks with Oregon State
Dedrick Young might have still picked Nebraska, but he was also considering Oklahoma, Michigan State, and Washington. His commit wasnt secured at Nebraska until Trent Bray was hired.

I don't get the joke.

As for his speed, he's in the 4.6 range. At 6'3 225, that's significant. I'm not sure if they are recruiting him as a SAM or a MIKE.

Speaking of speed, there is a prevailing theme with Adrienne Talan, Mohammad Barry, Dedrick Young, Tyrin Ferguson, and now William Johnson. They are all explosive linebackers who run well from sideline to sideline. If Bo was still here:

Mohammad Barry signs with Miami
Adrienne Talan picks TCU or Pitt
Tyrin Ferguson sticks with Oregon State
Dedrick Young might have still picked Nebraska, but he was also considering Oklahoma, Michigan State, and Washington. His commit wasnt secured at Nebraska until Trent Bray was hired.

If they're still going after Baccus, I'd think they'd want WJ at SAM and Baccus at Mike.

Anyone know if academics or exposure was the cause for him to go the Juco route? Anyone able to find his Rivals HS profile?

Glad they landed a Juco LB. Obviously a ton of depth issues there. Kind of risky signing a 2 for 2 guy (even if he is a December graduate). He has no room for error or time to develop really. If he doesn't contribute year 1, its basically a waste of a scholarship. But who knows, he may come in and roll some heads.
Hope he does.

But it be false to say this isn't a risky offer. I have never been a fan of 2 for 2 guys because of the risk. Plus a December Juco graduate isn't always a guarantee either. How many times have we seen a Juco who was suppose to graduate in December but ends up a class or two short? Kids go to Juco for a reason. Trust me I know that not all of them are screw ups and a ton of them "get it right" in Juco. Just saying I hope the staff made the offer contingent on him graduating from Juco this fall semester vs. 2016 spring. Not saying he wont be here in the spring.

With the LB depth what it is, they don't have the luxury of avoiding risk. They may still need another JUCO LB or two if this guy signs.

2 for 2 means they must be confident in his ability to play right away and I can see why. He will have an extra spring which is nice For development and getting his feet wet. I'm not concerned about him finishing in December since he's been working on his degree for 2 full years already.

2 to play 2 isn't ideal, but how often do we redshirt JuCo players anyway, other than OL? Nice to have that year just in case something happens like Zaire Anderson's medical hardship, but seems like we bring in JC players to play right away, again other than OL.

The only video I saw with a quick search was from high school. I would need a college tape to be accurate. Do you have a link for me?

No can do. But I'm more than willing to repeat the same thing I just said.

But seriously check the link in the OP.

He's a 2 for 2 kid who actually redshirted. That means he was a significant academic casualty out of high school. I actually think his recruitment is due to some foresight never shown by the previous staff. They see him as a bridge to some of the younger guys at the MIKE if Barry or Ferguson show they're better fits at SAM or WILL. Banderas has 2 more years as a starter, as does Rose.

I think the coaches feel like Young, and Gifford will play the SAM while Newby and Talan are all destined to play the WILL going forward. But trusting the future of the MIKE to some True Freshman like Barry and Ferguson could be a risky considering both guys need to add body mass.

BTW, I mean after Banderas (MIKE), Rose (SAM), and Santos (WILL) graduate.

No can do. But I'm more than willing to repeat the same thing I just said.

But seriously check the link in the OP.

I would estimate between a 4.59, with a margin of error of .04. If I had more extensive film, I could narrow that margin of error significantly.

I don't get the joke.

Didn't read the thread real close, but I believe in the Banderas thread BornNBred indicated that by his eye, Banderas didn't have the speed to be a playmaker at LB at this level. Guestimating he was a solid 4.8 or 4.9. I think he further intimated that to get anything out of Banderas the new staff should pack a little onto his frame and give him some snaps at DE.

Obvious dissent and hilarity ensued. Fights about being fast vs playing fast, scheme, etc.

Didn't read the thread real close, but I believe in the Banderas thread BornNBred indicated that by his eye, Banderas didn't have the speed to be a playmaker at LB at this level. Guestimating he was a solid 4.8 or 4.9. I think he further intimated that to get anything out of Banderas the new staff should pack a little onto his frame and give him some snaps at DE.

Obvious dissent and hilarity ensued. Fights about being fast vs playing fast, scheme, etc.

No fighting.....this is an opinion board. Not everyone's opinion is going to be the same on every issue and that is just fine.

No fighting.....this is an opinion board. Not everyone's opinion is going to be the same on every issue and that is just fine.

Fight was probably not the best choice of words. Opinions and arguments ensued.

However, when you look at what the incoming DC had to say about the positives Banderas brings to the defense, staking out your side was going to be tough and more than a few jabs taken at the claim.

"Banker said the book on Banderas upon the new staff’s arrival was that confidence issues hindered his development.

“There was a bit of an underlying tone about that,” Banker said. “But from Day One, it didn’t seem like that. He grew in confidence right away. His play-making ability was good.”"

“We knew Josh was a big physical kid inside, but his ability to run outside has been good,” Banker said. “The other thing he has done is a nice job in pass coverage. We don’t ask the middle linebacker to do a ton. But he really has a knack on that. He had his hands on balls in practice every day.”

Considering three-quarters of the items Banker singled out as positives have to do with running/mobility or outright singling out play making ability. If those things where an issue, I would have expected him to say something more along the lines of, he's a kid that brings his lunch pail, he plays smart, pushes other guys to try harder, that kind of thing. Like pretty much every other DC on the planet.

Edit: One might also note that, he outright said Bando had a knack for playing the Mike, not exactly a strong endorsement of trying him out at DE in the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT