ADVERTISEMENT

Birthday today

SOCALHSKR

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 10, 2001
Palm Desert CA
Didn’t used to think much about my birthday, was not a cause for celebration or receiving gifts
-- but now at age 82 I covet them very dearly.

Reflecting on that long stream of commentary on the value of news post
causes me to think back to “my time”

After two years of required military service, served in “fightin finance” in Korea after the hostilities,
graduated NU ‘57. These were the golden years in the country, growing economy recovering from the
big war, supplemented by spending for Korea. I felt no detachment such as that expressed in the “news” posts nor did I recognize such in my friends or the country generally. Politics was not full of hatred as it is now. It was career building, family building with an ever increasing standard of living. The suffering of the depression and sacrificing for the big war were forgotten for the most part, just a wonderful time to be alive.

My own situation benefited from the strange demographics I enjoyed.
Think the number of births plotted vertically and the year horizontally.
Connect the dots and you see a perfect V at 1933. Perfect for us born then as we had greatly reduced competition for jobs in a fast growing economy.

The wife and I are in generally good health for our age and children and grandchildren doing OK, my biggest concern right now is will I ever see the Husker return to prominence again,
- not like I enjoyed for most of my life - but something to rejoice in.

Wish the best for you but with the family hating each other so and trillions of dollars in debt your road is surely full of potholes. Best regards .

Happy Birthday.Had to idea you were one of the few that was around in the Jennings era.

Well done, SoCal. Happy birthday to you. I wish you many more. :)

Happy Birthday to you! Well done. We celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary tomorrow. We'll hoist a glass to you then too.

Happy birthday. What a great gift to live a full life. Just praying I get to stick around until my kids are full grown.

Didn’t used to think much about my birthday, was not a cause for celebration or receiving gifts
-- but now at age 82 I covet them very dearly.

Reflecting on that long stream of commentary on the value of news post
causes me to think back to “my time”

After two years of required military service, served in “fightin finance” in Korea after the hostilities,
graduated NU ‘57. These were the golden years in the country, growing economy recovering from the
big war, supplemented by spending for Korea. I felt no detachment such as that expressed in the “news” posts nor did I recognize such in my friends or the country generally. Politics was not full of hatred as it is now. It was career building, family building with an ever increasing standard of living. The suffering of the depression and sacrificing for the big war were forgotten for the most part, just a wonderful time to be alive.

My own situation benefited from the strange demographics I enjoyed.
Think the number of births plotted vertically and the year horizontally.
Connect the dots and you see a perfect V at 1933. Perfect for us born then as we had greatly reduced competition for jobs in a fast growing economy.

The wife and I are in generally good health for our age and children and grandchildren doing OK, my biggest concern right now is will I ever see the Husker return to prominence again,
- not like I enjoyed for most of my life - but something to rejoice in.

Wish the best for you but with the family hating each other so and trillions of dollars in debt your road is surely full of potholes. Best regards .

Congratulations on #82!! I'll be 80 in a couple of months so it's nice to know there are still a few of us around who experienced the tough years of the 30's and early 40's and then all the really great years that followed. Amazing to think of all the changes our State and Country have seen in those 8 decades.

Best wishes to all you youngsters out there.

I live in Clancy MT! We moved to Montana about 5 years ago from Nebraska. Kids go to school at Clancy and we live up Forest Park. Great to see another Husker in Big Sky Country! Sorry to hijack the thread.
Small world!! My next-door neighbor is from Lincoln and his son works in the Nebraska Athletic Dept.

Click on my name to start a 'conversation' and maybe we can get together for some Husker watching this Fall.

I don't think either of my grandparents could type... impressive. Happy Birthday!!!

ADVERTISEMENT