ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Jack, before Bruce Lee, Steven Segal, Chuck Norris, JCVD

I always love it when the bad guys take their turn and come at the good guy one at a time.
As I recall (and it has been 43 years), Billy Jack and his old lady who ran a hippy school illegally harbored a 13 year old girl after her father punished her for being unapologetic about running away to Haight Ashbury, earning her keep as a commune's house squeeze, and getting pregnant by one of a dozen guys. That set things in motion (illegally harboring a minor). The park fight happened after Billy knocked a big oaf out of a plate glass window in an ice cream store after the oaf had been bullying a young Indian girl. Billy forced the sheriff's kid to drive his brand new Corvette into a lake after a girl from the school led the boy on and he was starting to get aggressive with the girl. The school's resident social activist (Martin, who initially ramped up the ice cream store incident) assisted in harboring the minor girl, and began having sex with her. The sheriff's kid and the oaf went to find the girl, Martin refused to return her over to her father, a gun battle ensued and Martin got shot in the head. In retaliation for Martin's shooting and Billy's girlfriend's rape (by the sheriff's kid in retaliation for having to drive his car into the lake), Billy crushed the kid's throat and shot the girl's father in the head.

Seeing the movie at the Chief Theater in South O at the age of 12, I was rooting for Billy to kill everybody because he was a good guy and the town was all bad guys. If I watched it now, I might be thinking more along the lines that everybody involved was dysfunctional and there weren't really any "good guys or gals" in the whole movie.

Lastly, I didn't know Billy Jack was brought in to help LP.

Cut & paste is from Wikipedia: "Laughlin lectured on Jungian psychology at universities and colleges throughout the United States since the 1970s,[80] including Yale University and Stanford University[81] In 1995, because of his background in football and psychology, he was brought in to counsel University of Nebraska football player Lawrence Phillips after Phillips' suspension from the team. He said of Phillips at the time, "He should not be rewarded by being allowed to play unless there is real substantive change. I don't mean surface change. But if he does change, then he's not only going to not batter this girl, he's not going to batter the girl he marries at 30 and 35. If he just pretends to change, of course he should not be allowed to play, but Lawrence has already been sanctioned in ways other batterers on this campus are not".[81]

interesting about involvement with lp.

that being said, that clip is hilarious! I remember in high school football practice if someone got whipped in a play during scrimmage or an oklahoma drill and got all 'bowed up' we'd call them 'billy jack'.

Before Bruce Lee?
Had to look that up. I think the character Billy Jack first appeared in the "The Born Losers" in 1967. True, Bruce had not made any of his big pictures at the time, but he had made numerous Chinese films and had a decent following as Kato in The Green Hornet on TV, in 1966. The Big Boss came out the same year, 1971, as Billy Jack (the movie).
"Contemporaries" is probably the fair way to describe them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT