ADVERTISEMENT

BIG TIME GET!

I don't know if he'll stay at LB or outgrow that and turn into a DE and I don't even care. He looks like a good one, and we have needs at both positions.

Welcome Quay! Props to Coach Bray too, dude's putting in work.
F1125654.jpg

These offers and talent he should be a 4 star like he is on the other sites.
Nebraska COMMITTED (06/19/2015) Offered None
Arizona St. None Offered None
Georgia Tech None None
Iowa None Offered None Chris White
Maryland None None
Miami (FL) None Offered None
Michigan None Offered None
Mississippi None Offered None
N. Carolina None None
Notre Dame None Offered None
Pittsburgh None Offered None
Rutgers None Offered None Jim Panagos
Temple None Offered None
Tennessee None None
Virginia None Offered None
Virginia Tech None Offered None
Wake Forest None Offered None
Wisconsin None Offered None

Last edited:
Yeah. Rivals is behind on a lot of recruits. QA and POB being two of ours. Their re-evaluation periods are too far apart and I think Rivals has lost a step. 247 seems to have the better recruiting evaluators.

Reactions: AndyHanline
I'm really impressed with coach Bray. Multiple recruits have mentioned their relationship with him is a main reason they committed.

This could turn out as a really good class. Let's hope the staff can maintain this momentum. So far their early talent evaluation has been way ahead of the curve and they're doing a good job among the more universally recognized talents as well. I like what I see so far.

I was optimistic about a class that was ranked around 20 but I really feel like this class could end up in the top 12 or so.

Nice get. Recruiting skepticism is fine, but it is crazy to think the effort and organization of Riley and his staff wont pay big dividends

Reactions: Olyhusker
Not sure how committed Alexander is considering he is openly saying he'll take at least two official visits to schools other than neb in the fall. That's not a commitment to me

Not sure how committed Alexander is considering he is openly saying he'll take at least two official visits to schools other than neb in the fall. That's not a commitment to me

Link? All I saw was an article saying "Alexander said it is unlikely that will take any more unofficial visits but he could take an official visit or two." which isn't really the same as saying he'll definitely take at least two official visits. Could <> Will. Hope he doesn't take any visits, even just for the fun of taking a trip because things can happen (especially in SEC country) but he sounds like a pretty solid commit.

Very nice!! Its amazing what you can accomplish recruiting NU WHEN YOU PUT THE TIME AND EFFORT INTO SELLING WHAT NEBRASKA HAS TO OFFER!!

A good get no doubt, but lets not act like this is all of a sudden the first good recruit we've got to commit to Nebraska in recent history.

A good get no doubt, but lets not act like this is all of a sudden the first good recruit we've got to commit to Nebraska in recent history.
Yes, we know. Bo is a God, and nobody will ever be as good as him. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

Not acting like that at all. Just stating the fact that the last staff acted like recruiting was just a "nuisance". Something that wasn't a "big deal" and would take care of itself and great players would just fall out of the sky without getting out there and selling NU!! The new staff is actually embracing traditions, reaching out to former players and coaches. Selling the recruits on the fans passion and enthusiasm. Not turning them on the fans with a bunker mentality. I could go on if you like but you get the picture.....PS...And maybe if the former staff did recruit a little better maybe we wouldn't be going into next season with just 2 or 3 LB's with experience!!

The University of Nebraska just completed a week of satellite camps and one thing is certain: Mission Accomplished. Mike Riley brought all nine of his assistant coaches on the road with him, as well as graduate assistant and de facto tight ends coach Tavita Thompson. He also brought key members of his support staff, including Chris Brasfield, Ryan Gunderson, Kenny Wilhite, Andy Vaughn, Todd McShane and Dan Van De Riet. It was a long, demanding week for the coaches and staff members, but well worth their time. There were former Husker players and coaches at a few satellite stops. There were also former players and coaches of Riley's, as well as current commits who made it out to Atlanta (2015 signee Mohamed Barry), Dallas (Terry Wilson) and Los Angeles (Patrick O'Brien). The only hiccup on the tour was the scheduled stop in Houston being cancelled because of weather. It's unfortunate because running backs coach Reggie Davis and defensive backs coach Brian Stewart have deep recruiting ties to the area. It is still unknown if or when that camp will be revisited.
The SEC and ACC conferences don't allow their schools to participate in satellite camps. In the meantime, coaches from both of those conferences continue to gripe about schools outside of their footprint coming in to evaluate "their" local kids. The bottom line is that it benefits the kids themselves. The kids receive more exposure and appreciate the chance to work with a variety of coaches with whom they normally wouldn't have the opportunity. Mike Riley said it himself following the Huskers' first stop in Atlanta this past Monday, "All it is, is opportunity for kids. It's kids that get maybe a new door opened up because of a chance to work with some coaches that are from a different part of the country. There's nothing wrong with that." Coach Riley is absolutely right. If the NCAA isn't smart enough to evolve with the ever-increasing speed of recruiting, and allow for paid official visits during the summer months, this is the best way for schools like Nebraska to sell their brand and build relationships with kids. Most of whom can't afford to pay their own way to visit Lincoln. More and more kids are deciding on their college futures before their senior years and that sped-up timeframe is hurting isolated schools like Nebraska.
In all, between the four stops (Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles), Nebraska was able to evaluate roughly 800 prospects. There were a few kids who earned immediate offers following their camp performances. Among the known offers to be given out already are 2016 WR Tyler Simmons (Atlanta), 2017 CB Trajan Bandy (Miami) and 2016 CB DiCaprio Bootle (Miami). It's still not known how many offers will ultimately be extended to the kids who attended these camps. Coaches and support staff members are likely rewatching video from these camps as you read this. Mike Riley and his coaches and staffers will discuss and dissect the players that impressed them ad nauseam to decide on that. Between the 2016, 2017 and 2018 classes, I would estimate that you will see around 30-40 offers eventually being given out. More importantly, Riley laid the groundwork for future recruiting efforts in these areas. Expect Nebraska to return to all of these places next summer when they again embark on their satellite tour. You can also bet that they will continue to be regular visitors during the evaluation period.
It's unfortunate that Nebraska hasn't been doing this for years, but it doesn't surprise me. Bo Pelini decided to take his two best recruiters (Tim Beck, John Papuchis) off of the road - under protest from both - after they were promoted to coordinators. Bo wasn't an enthusiastic recruiter during his 5-years as a defensive coordinator prior to his opportunity at Nebraska, and it was reflected in several recruiting-related areas. He wasn't much of a forward-thinker, but luckily for Nebraska, Mike Riley and his staff are. Thanks in part to Director of Player Personnel, Ryan Gunderson, Mike Riley and his staff at Oregon State were among the first schools to utilize satellite camps and had been involved in them for several years prior to coming to Lincoln. They know first-hand the kind of exposure and relationships they help to build.
Mike Riley has wisely decided to make the 500-mile radius around Lincoln his recruiting priority. Riley knows that Nebraska is the alpha dog in the region and that the Huskers have the potential to reap huge benefits by concentrating on recruiting hotspots in that radius like Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, Kansas City, Oklahoma City and Minneapolis
. But Riley also knows that he needs to tap into fertile recruiting grounds like California, Texas, Florida and the Southeast in order to augment that core recruiting territory. Nebraska could very well see a few commitments from this satellite tour with their 2016 class, but more than anything, it laid the groundwork for future recruiting efforts in areas that will be vital to the Huskers going forward. At these four stops, more often than not it was a 2017 or 2018 recruit who caught the attention of the coaches. And truthfully, that is more beneficial for Nebraska. It gives coaches the time needed to build relationships with kids. These coaches have been on the job at Nebraska for roughly seven months. It takes 2-years to properly evaluate and recruit a signing class. All of these coaches are coming from parts of the country outside of the Big Ten footprint and relationships will need to be cultivated over time. These coaches have recruited California and Texas before, but they are new to areas like Florida, Georgia and Nebraska's all-important 500-mile radius.
We have seen plenty of evidence already of Riley and his staff eyeballing the future, and these camps will aid in those efforts. According to 247Sports, to date, Nebraska has made 231 scholarship offers to the 2016 class. They have already offered 44 class of 2017 kids. You can expect those numbers to rise, thanks to these camps. Riley and his staff are already looking towards 2017 and even 2018 (6 known offers) and are building relationships with kids. The fact that Riley and his coaches can get "in" on kids from these satellite areas as they head into their sophomore and junior years, only increases their chances of building pipelines into these places for the future. Because of the efforts of this past week, Nebraska will be on the ground floor with several underclassmen who will eventually be considered blue-chip recruits. Many of them are currently without offers, which benefits Nebraska. In many cases, the Huskers will be their first offer and will be seen as the school that "found" them and helped to put them on the national map. That fact goes a long way with a lot of kids. With Nebraska and these players being on each others radars this early, it helps coaches build a rapport and will get kids interested in trying to make it up to Lincoln for unofficial/official visits over the next few years. Indeed it will be interesting to see what fruits are harvested with the seeds that were planted this past week.
Here are a few players that are a part of the 2017 class that participated in these camps whom Nebraska has either already offered, or I expect them to offer in the near future: QB Tristan Gebbia, CB Trajan Bandy, WR Terrell Bynum, DE Michael Allen, DB Stuart Head, WR Jeremiah Hawkins, OT Chris Sibilia, LB Tyler Taylor and WR Nate Shelton. There were also a handful of 2018 kids who were extremely impressive that I also expect to receive Husker offers relatively soon: LB Raymond Scott, CB Joshua Jobe, QB Brevin White, DE Zachary Gilson and WR Tyrone Legette Jr.

Prior to contributing to HuskerMax, Jeremy Pernell co-founded the all football website N2FL.com. He served as the editor in chief of the college football portion of the website which focused heavily on recruitment and talent analysis, including the NFL Draft. You can email him at N2FL@hotmail.com.

• Categories:

HuskerInTideLand
- 5 Hours Ago

Great article, Jeremy!

Last edited:
Do you really think this is what's happening here? Can you not see the difference between Bo and Mike in recruiting?

How Pelini won 9 games a year the more we look back at the stuff he did wrong is sort of amazing. Schedule was part of it - but dude found a way win close games in the 4th quarter that should have been over at halftime (in our favor), better than any coach in recent memory. Hope that pays off big time at Youngtown State!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT