ADVERTISEMENT

BiG TeN BaSeBaLl

Charlie Marlow

Athletic Director
Sep 23, 2005
In Your Head
Illinois (#11, 30-6, 8-1, swept purdue and nwestern, 2-1 at mich st)
Iowa (#19, 23-10, 8-1, swept indiana and purdue, 2-1 at maryland)
Ohio State (NR, 24-9, 7-2, swept penn st, 2-1 at rutgers & vs mich st)
Maryland (#22, 24-10, 8-4, swept minn and nebraska; 1-2 vs iowa and at mich)
Nebraska (#23, 27-11, 5-4, swept mich, 2-1 vs minn. swept at maryland)

soooo, is iowa for real or what's the deal?

well that was Illinois. they at least had a decent team last year, but then again they have had a pretty creampuff schedule so far this year so who knows.

but iowa has been terrible at baseball as long as i can remember so it just seems like this is coming out of 'left field'.
sick.r191677.gif

Re: New Iowa coach has been successful at lower levels

Losing 3 at Maryland hurt, but not a death nail in the coffin. We have a tough schedule from here on out so they kids have it in their hands.

Re: New Iowa coach has been successful at lower levels

Losing 2 out of 3 to Ohio State hurts. I think the pitching under Silva has been coming along, but the offense is struggling. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the Kirby hiring, but I suppose I should give him a bit more time to see. Next up is K State and then a 3 game set at Iowa. Turning out to be a pretty important series.

Yeah, tough losses, but Ohio St. has a very good baseball team, give them credit. Huskers just have to somehow get better to compete with these bigger schools.

Originally posted by Rocky Mtn Husker:
Yeah, tough losses, but Ohio St. has a very good baseball team, give them credit. Huskers just have to somehow get better to compete with these bigger schools.
Credit given but come on. We are 7th in the conference today. .500 in conf play. Who thought we would be struggling this much in the B1G when it came to baseball? After splitting with CSF and sweeping UT, I was sure we had turned a corner and should've been able to handle most in the B1G.

Originally posted by huskerbux:

Originally posted by Rocky Mtn Husker:
Credit given but come on. We are 7th in the conference today. .500 in conf play. Who thought we would be struggling this much in the B1G when it came to baseball? After splitting with CSF and sweeping UT, I was sure we had turned a corner and should've been able to handle most in the B1G.
Texas and CSF are not the typical CSF and Texas.....we got them on a "down" year . At the end of the day we have enough pitching to be a very good team. Our bats?...Mediocre at best. I'm not sure if it's the philosophy or the recruiting under Erstad. Minimal power and speed in the lineup is never good.

No doubt Erstad has some work to do, especially with the bats. Would love to see some more guys who can hit the long ball. I still think he'll put it all together in the next few years.

Sorry, didnt see this thread.

Iowa is good, but IL is for real, IMO. They will win the BIG. Although they have some tough series coming up. The state of IL produces very good baseball players.

well that was Illinois. they at least had a decent team last year, but then again they have had a pretty creampuff schedule so far this year so who knows.

but iowa has been terrible at baseball as long as i can remember so it just seems like this is coming out of 'left field'.
sick.r191677.gif

Iowa has a new coach with a new attitude. He turned around UNI and Indiana St. And we havent won the BIG 10 in baseball since 1990. Its been a while since we have been good. Iowa is investing in baseball though, so hopefully this isnt a flash in the pan.

This weekend series is going to interesting. Going over with some Hawkeye buddies for the Friday Saturday games.

Is it conceivable that this team doesnt make a regional or is the only thing in doubt the hosting of a regional....been a real disappointing turn since Texas

This weekend series is going to interesting. Going over with some Hawkeye buddies for the Friday Saturday games.

I have not been to the new stadium, but people say its nice. The baseball field is right down the road from the Vine and the Wing and Pen. Two great place for food and drinks. Especially the pizza at the Wing and Pen.

Is it conceivable that this team doesnt make a regional or is the only thing in doubt the hosting of a regional....been a real disappointing turn since Texas

It would take a pretty big collapse. If we went 1-5 vs Iowa & Illinois and 3-3 vs Purdue & NW, then went 0-2 in the conference tournament, that would put us on the bubble on Selection Monday.

Looks like the weather is trying to screw this series up. Move the game up to 4PM today and calling for rain tomorow. Sunday is suppose to be nice though. A double header hopefully.

we did take 2 of 3 from northwestern, so at least there is that.

Illinois 16-1 (Rutgers, Nebraska)
Iowa 15-3 (Minnesota, @ Rutgers)
Ohio St 12-6 (Maryland, @ Indiana)
Maryland 11-7 (@ Ohio St, @ NWestern)
Mich St 11-7 (Penn St, @ Minnesota)
Michigan 12-9 (NWestern, - )
Indiana 9-10 ( - , Ohio St)
Nebraska 8-10 (Purdue, @ Illinois)
Minnesota 7-11 (@ Iowa, Michigan St)
Penn St 5-12 (@ Mich St, @ Purdue)
Rutgers 5-13 (@ Illinois, Iowa)
NWestern 5-13 (@ Michigan, Maryland)