ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 expansion?

OU would bring in more $ not really KU. If Delaney didn't want MU KU has no chance.

I have to laugh when you say Delaney didn't want Mizzou. He definitely wanted Mizzou but wasn't ready to take more than one team and since Mizzou had made no bones about wanting to go to the B1G he assumed we would be there when he was ready. Bad miscalculation. So he ended up with Maryland and Rutgers.

I admit I and about all Mizzou fans were disappointed at the time but now the vast majority of Mizzou fans are ecstatic. I wouldn't trade the SEC for the B1G under any circumstance. Not only is the geography and climate much better we were full members from Day One with no Jr status and reduced payouts.

Life is good!

I have to laugh when you say Delaney didn't want Mizzou. He definitely wanted Mizzou but wasn't ready to take more than one team and since Mizzou had made no bones about wanting to go to the B1G he assumed we would be there when he was ready. Bad miscalculation. So he ended up with Maryland and Rutgers.

I admit I and about all Mizzou fans were disappointed at the time but now the vast majority of Mizzou fans are ecstatic. I wouldn't trade the SEC for the B1G under any circumstance. Not only is the geography and climate much better we were full members from Day One with no Jr status and reduced payouts.

Life is good!
I love message boards... People can say whatever they want and pretend to believe it!

Delaney wanted Mizzou? Then why, over the years, when Mizzou was clearly yearning for the B1G, why didn't he take them?

I know, I know, you're happy to be in the SEC. But seriously, if Delaney wanted Mizzou in that badly, why did he take the Huskers? I think the argument that he could take Mizzou anytime is weak when you look at the implosion of the big 12 at that time...

At the very least, if you're gonna say what you said above, provide a source.

In the end, I think it will be KU and UVA. You take two flagship schools with good academics and good history in basketball. Makes too much sense. VT and UVA aren't tied together and neither is KU and KSU.

As much as I want OU I think in the end they will go west to the PAC with their little brother and Texas and Tech.

In the end, I think it will be KU and UVA. You take two flagship schools with good academics and good history in basketball. Makes too much sense. VT and UVA aren't tied together and neither is KU and KSU.

As much as I want OU I think in the end they will go west to the PAC with their little brother and Texas and Tech.

Most OU fans are thinking SEC, possibly ACC if they go with Texas, if not with Texas, most think SEC is their best fit. I don't think BIG will get either of Texas, OU, and ND. They will head to ACC and OU to SEC. If Texas and/or ND officially join ACC, then all ACC teams will be locked in.

The ACC has a $50 million exit fee so I don't think NC or VA are options unless they take Texas in trade. The. B1G might have to throw in something else in that scenario to make it even :).

The B1G can easily afford $50million for UVa if it knocks competing conferences further down the ladder.

Last edited:
They definitely need to rebalance the East & West Divisions.

The only way you can go West is if you can get Oklahoma, and then Kansas is comes with the package.

If you can go East and take Virginia & North Carolina, then Michigan & Michigan State jump to the West.

The other caveat I'd add is that if we get to 16, then we go to (4) pods of 4 teams to ensure your conference games aren't always only with the East or West Divisions and that you get some variety.

So if you add Oklahoma & Kansas, it would look like (sorry about spacing - MS Word Copy & Paste):

West
  1. Nebraska
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Kansas
  4. Iowa
  1. Wisconsin
  2. Minnesota
  3. Purdue
  4. Indiana
East
  1. Michigan
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
  1. Ohio State
  2. Penn State
  3. Maryland
  4. Rutgers
If you add, North Carolina and Virginia then Michigan and Michigan State jump to the West:

West
  1. Nebraska
  2. Wisconsin
  3. Iowa
  4. Minnesota

1. Michigan
  2. Michigan State
  3. Northwestern
  4. Illinois
East
  1. Ohio State
  2. Penn State
  3. Purdue
  4. Indiana
  1. North Carolina
  2. Virginia
  3. Maryland
  4. Rutgers
Either option is better than the current alignment....

M.
I like the first setup. Would loe to see NU, OU, Kansas, Iowa.

North Carolina and Virginia are the top 2 choices of the commissioner unless ND was in play
IMO we have a decent presence on the east coast w/Rutgers & Maryland. Would love more south of us in OU & Kansas.

Nobody lives in Oklahoma and Kansas
NC and Virginia are growing big time!
IMO you're not going to get UNC away from Duke. That's a pipe dream IMO. With Kansas you get a National Brand and, while it's certainly not the East Coast, Kansas City is growing at a very significant rate. From a TV standpoint, OU brings a National Brand, but not much volume in state, and I doubt they fit the BIG culture so I see them in the SEC or ACC. I think KU to the BIG is a strong possibility, with KSU or ISU as a potential tag along. Or they may take KU with another Non-Power 5 team like UConn. Would love to see KU and UVA, but getting UVA away from the ACC could be a difficult task. Who knows.

IMO you're not going to get UNC away from Duke. That's a pipe dream IMO. With Kansas you get a National Brand and, while it's certainly not the East Coast, Kansas City is growing at a very significant rate. From a TV standpoint, OU brings a National Brand, but not much volume in state, and I doubt they fit the BIG culture so I see them in the SEC or ACC. I think KU to the BIG is a strong possibility, with KSU or ISU as a potential tag along. Or they may take KU with another Non-Power 5 team like UConn. Would love to see KU and UVA, but getting UVA away from the ACC could be a difficult task. Who knows.
Omaha will be bigger than Kansas City in 10 years.

KSU,ISU,UConn none of those have any chance at a Big Ten invite.

OU would jump at an invite in a hot second but one coming their way is very unlikely.

KU has a shot but not a great one.

The Big Ten wants UNC and Virginia. UNC is the prize. If they get UNC, Virginia will be easy to convince to come with.

The Big Ten will likely give UNC the option to select who besides Virginia gets an invite (within reason). It could be two teams, it may end up being four if it takes that.

If UNC wants Duke, Duke will get an invite. If UNC wants NCState NCState gets an invite... if for some reason UNC wants KU,KU would then get an invite. (Unlikely but not improbable.)

UNC is the lynchpin to the ACC, much like Texas in the B12... If the B10 flips UNC practically every other ACC team (aside from Miami,FSU and possibly ND)

Seeing as how getting UNC away from it's compfty position as king of tobbaco road isn't going to happen easily, it's very unlikely the Big Ten makes any future moves until something happens elsewhere that shifts th landscape. Next time around the Big Ten won't be making the first move they will sit back content to wait for an opening to present itself... which probably won't happen for a decade yet.

Reactions: canaham
While we have our heads in the sky... let's go with Notre Dame, Texas, OU and USC

West

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Northwestern
Oklahoma
Texas
Notre Dame
USC

East

tOSU
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Purdue
Illinois
Indiana
Rutgers
Maryland

Now if we put our heads into another galaxy... we could shed Minnesota and Iowa and replace them with UCLA and Oregon.... I would make suggestions for the East but frankly I don't care about that side.

Westopia

Nebraska
Wisconsin
Northwestern (got to have one possible 'gimme')
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Texas
Notre Dame
Oklahoma

KSU,ISU,UConn none of those have any chance at a Big Ten invite.

OU would jump at an invite in a hot second but one coming their way is very unlikely.

KU has a shot but not a great one.

The Big Ten wants UNC and Virginia. UNC is the prize. If they get UNC, Virginia will be easy to convince to come with.

The Big Ten will likely give UNC the option to select who besides Virginia gets an invite (within reason). It could be two teams, it may end up being four if it takes that.

If UNC wants Duke, Duke will get an invite. If UNC wants NCState NCState gets an invite... if for some reason UNC wants KU,KU would then get an invite. (Unlikely but not improbable.)

UNC is the lynchpin to the ACC, much like Texas in the B12... If the B10 flips UNC practically every other ACC team (aside from Miami,FSU and possibly ND)

Seeing as how getting UNC away from it's compfty position as king of tobbaco road isn't going to happen easily, it's very unlikely the Big Ten makes any future moves until something happens elsewhere that shifts th landscape. Next time around the Big Ten won't be making the first move they will sit back content to wait for an opening to present itself... which probably won't happen for a decade yet.
I would also state KU won't get BIG invite unless coupled with OU or ND to make a 16th team and because NC and VA officially say No. KSU, ISU, UCONN Zero chance.

ADVERTISEMENT