ADVERTISEMENT

Best Pizza in Lincoln

TheHuskeRed

Sophomore
Dec 9, 2006
Will be going to Lincoln for the Purdue baseball series and looking for the best pizza spots in Lincoln. Where do all the locals go?

Will be going to Lincoln for the Purdue baseball series and looking for the best pizza spots in Lincoln. Where do all the locals go?
Yia Yia's, the Isles, Mellow Mushroom. All depends on your taste. I would stay away from Valentinos, wouldn't even feed that stuff to my dog.

If you don't mind a short drive, head to Raymond, NE for some Raymono's Pizza...they have a butter garlic crust that's fantastic!! if you're on O street at bar closing time, Lazarri's was always a favorite...had YiaYia's a few times and unless it has changed, I don't understand the hype

The Isles in Havloc, untill DaVincis brings out their new Buffalo Chicken Pizza. Winking

Reactions: NWUgrover
Lincoln has fantastic pizza. Here's the absolute best pizza in town:

Yia-Yia's - downtown on O Street. Excellent beer selection too.
Patty's Pub - just off of 56th and O. Great bar too.
The Isles - Havelock area, north Lincoln.
Ramo's - 48th and South, great dive bar.
Mellow Mushroom - new joint in the Railyard. Great stuff, but you may wait a bit. Still a trendy pick being it's new.

You can't go wrong with any of these.

Yia Yia's, the Isles, Mellow Mushroom. All depends on your taste. I would stay away from Valentinos, wouldn't even feed that stuff to my dog.
When I lived in Lincoln I was a big fan of Piezano's at 27th and South Streets. Is it it still there?

Good call on Valentino's, the Sizzler of pizza joints.

I will grant you the declining quality of Valentino's buffet, but will defend them on their carry-out/delivery. Still as good as it ever was. I'm a Lincoln native, so it's ingrained. ;)

The North Texans for Nebraska truck down Vals pizza every year for a get together with Vals pizza and Runzas. We love it and miss it down here in Big D.

Reactions: morninghusker
I will grant you the declining quality of Valentino's buffet, but will defend them on their carry-out/delivery. Still as good as it ever was. I'm a Lincoln native, so it's ingrained. ;)
Agree to disagree. It's not the buffet I was talking about. They are living off their past when they actually had some flavor in their pies. To each his own for sure

Sorry I gotta go with 4.6.3 on this one. The pizza Val's served back when it had only the original Holdrege Street location was absolutely heavenly. Comparing it to what they serve now is like debating whether you would rather have Johnny Rodgers or Santino Panico returning punts.

Piezano's is still there (and good). A minor fire scare a few weeks ago but no major problems. For me:
1. Piezano's (potato)
2. Yia yia's
3. Isles (leaning tower)

GBR

We'd had pizza once, not considering Valentino's at events, in Lincoln and it was at the Mushroom place across from PBA. Good food, atmosphere is dry but the food is good.

Before you get to Raymond, there is a little village called Davey which is about a mile off of Highway 77. There is a little bar there that has a stone pizza oven that throws a mean pie! Haven't been in 5 years because of a move out of state, so maybe someone else can verify that the place still rocks!

I always liked Yia Yia's. Pizza by the slize, big selection of toppings so you can build something a little unconventional, and you get bread and butter with your order.

The Isles was good, didn't revolutionize my world or anything.

Don't like Valentino's. I will buy a slice at a game, but I'd order from a lot of places before Val's.

Piezanoes is still very much alive and well. I also like the pepperoni and cream cheese pizza at Ramos pizza.

I remember growing up in Lincoln in the 60's and 70's and going to the original Valentinos on Holdredge street. That was damn good pizza which I think would stack up favorably against any of the best pizzas I have eaten out here in New York and Philadelphia. It was that good. But I had a Val's pizza for the first time in 30 years when I was in Lincoln last Fall for the Miami game. Damn it was awful. What a disappointment. What happened?

My niece took me to Mellow Mushroom in the Haymarket and I loved the pizza there. I would highly recommend it to any visitor on gameday. And when I last lived in Lincoln in the late 80's I thought Piezanos was great! Glad to hear it is still thriving! Is Da Vincis still open? Still good? Or has it too gone down hill?

As you're seeing, there are sharp opinions on Valentino's Pizza. It will always be like "home" for me when I come back. It's not your standard NY or Chicago style pizza. It is a unique take on pizza and I happen to still be a big fan.

I recommend hamburger or sausage pinch. Don't be afraid to ask for cream cheese to accompany it.

If you're looking for something "Lincoln-born" - Val's is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Yia Yia's is the way to go... they also have a local Rockstar/Celebrity working there.... want to know who? You will have to go yourself to find out!

Valentino's is pretty average... but their Cream Cheese Jalapeno pizza is excellent.

As mentioned, Yia Yias, Mellow Mushroom, the Isles, Raymonos, and though I haven't been there myself I've heard some good things about MoMo's. I think my favorite is Mellow Mushroom but the service can be slow to say the least.

Reactions: sparky62
Before you get to Raymond, there is a little village called Davey which is about a mile off of Highway 77. There is a little bar there that has a stone pizza oven that throws a mean pie! Haven't been in 5 years because of a move out of state, so maybe someone else can verify that the place still rocks!

I think the tshirts say "One longneck north of Lincoln." That's obviously a subjective measure. We'd call them about an hour after we left Lincoln and they'd have it ready when we stumbled in. Great pizza, great bar!

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
When I lived there it was Yia Yia's....but I haven't been back for a few years so there might be something new and better.

Casey's General Store has very good pizza by the slice if you get it coming out fresh - not kidding ! I stop at one every chance I get back for a few days.

Casey's General Store has very good pizza by the slice if you get it coming out fresh - not kidding ! I stop at one every chance I get back for a few days.

Surprising, but true. I have a friend who constantly raves about it. I always internally rolled my eyes, but I did get a slice a couple weeks ago and it was pretty darn good. It reminded me a bit of old-style Godfathers back in the day before they sold out. Not quite as good as that, but still pretty good.

I remember Wise Guys from the early 90's. Double Crust with Cream Cheese, Came back years ago and it had moved out 48th and O. Cream Cheese was available but no longer standard. I was very said.

As with many things, I think your pizza ideal is based on where you grew up. I was born in NYC.
I lived in Lincoln for 13 years, and I don't think I ever had a good pizza. Not once. All the sauces were way too sweet.
Dante's in Omaha was the first real pizza I had in Nebraska.
I've been out of Lincoln for 4 years now. Maybe the pizza has improved. I miss many things about Nebraska, but pizza isnt one

As with many things, I think your pizza ideal is based on where you grew up. I was born in NYC.
I lived in Lincoln for 13 years, and I don't think I ever had a good pizza. Not once. All the sauces were way too sweet.
I've been out of Lincoln for 4 years now. Maybe the pizza has improved. I miss many things about Nebraska, but pizza isnt one
Best New York style, by far, is Frank's in Omaha.

Sorry I gotta go with 4.6.3 on this one. The pizza Val's served back when it had only the original Holdrege Street location was absolutely heavenly. Comparing it to what they serve now is like debating whether you would rather have Johnny Rodgers or Santino Panico returning punts.
Your recollection of the original Val's versus today's Val's is colored like the grey in your hair. Val's was and STILL IS great pizza. I a block away from the Holdrege St Val's 40 years ago and the pizza now is the same as it was then. Nothing could beat the shrimp mushroom pizza that sat out all night on the desk for breakfast the next morning but today's Val's is still good. No thanks on the Yuppie/hipster crappie stuff at the designer pizza joints.

Your recollection of the original Val's versus today's Val's is colored like the grey in your hair. Val's was and STILL IS great pizza. I a block away from the Holdrege St Val's 40 years ago and the pizza now is the same as it was then. Nothing could beat the shrimp mushroom pizza that sat out all night on the desk for breakfast the next morning but today's Val's is still good. No thanks on the Yuppie/hipster crappie stuff at the designer pizza joints.
What's a yuppie/hipster designer pizza joint?

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think based on all your thoughts it's The Isles after one game and Yia Yia's after another game.

pfft

the only bad pizza's that I've had is Cici's in Lincoln.
next worst: Zios pizza Omaha
Big Sal's is where the 27th & R streets clientele go because there's no where else nearby

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT