ADVERTISEMENT

Bankers defense

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
I think how well the transition goes starting next year will in large part be how well our defense plays under a new scheme.

At OSU Banker struggled with mobile and passing teams, his overall results were not inspiring. yet I think there is some reason for hope here:

recruiting quality defensive tackles and Dlinemmen in general is a tall task at many schools. This is especially true for a school like OSU, they simply were not able to get quality DT's on a consistent basis. Nu had this trouble up until a couple of years ago and now we appear to be deep and good on the interior line.

Bankers defensive style is pressure oriented, it is a more attacking style of play. if you have the quality of player that can apply pressure it works if not it can fail miserably.

So I am hopeful for next year. I think his style of defense plays better in the Big10 whereas it would not work as well in the Pac12 or Big12. One thing about an attacking style is that players love it, they can get excited about it. If this years defense can get out of the gates fast this year playing well and confidence grows then it coud be a very good unit going forward.

If however the defense gets off to slow start and is burned say in the BYU and Miami games and confidence shrinks then our record next year could get a little ugly imo

Whatever the outcome the offense will take awhile to come around imo - if this team is going to start on an upward path I will be looking at how the defense does and plays as that imo will set the tone for how the Riley era goes

Actually, that defense will NEVER work without shut down corners. If your Secondary doesn't have the ability to cover man to man without safety help, you're going to get shredded.

I've heard both Banker and DB Coach Brian Stewart were absolutely giddy when they saw the Cornerbacks here at Nebraska.

You need studs up front, regardless of scheme. national titles are won in the front 7 on defense. BUT... to run the Quarters Coverage in the 4-3, you better have cornerbacks and even the flexibility to add a nickel who can run and cover.

Nebraska has that at their disposal.

Thanks for some great comments guys ! Cornicator, happy to hear you are liking the db's; I think we will go after the ball the best since Marvin coached. We still have TA, I don't think the O starts slower; also we will have more screens and jet sweeps. To really hit; we need TA to progress in progressions, and Darlington to shine when TA is having one of his off quarters.
Our run D will be so much better with one hole to fill on your way to the qb; instead of the 2 gap waltz and
dance with your guy; the rb blows bye bye. We have cover cb's, even pro's get bit once in a while. I am guessing we will drop safeties back into routes at inopportune times for the opponents O. The d-line will be awesome 9 of 12 games, the balance will be a dog fight of talent. I hope our lb's are playing as well as the reports.
With the talent in the backfield spread about; Ameer can be missed; but the diversity will still make it difficult to make the O predictable .

Have friends that make legislation so you get an exemption to the laws everyone else gets stuck with, and store plenty of money overseas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT