ADVERTISEMENT

B1G and National Coach of the year

quit living in the past!!!!

Eichorst better have a short list and be putting out feelers ... This is Nebraska

That Spring game better be damn impressive as well or Riley can consider himself to be on a short leash

rolleyes.r191677.gif

Didn't Frank Haith win that a couple of years ago at Missouri?

The point is, you can't truly judge a coach until about Year 5. Lots of coaches have some success initially and then suck once they have all of their own players. Pelini looked like the savior after Year 2 as well. My concern is the attitude and lack of effort of many of Miles' recruits. Ubel and Gallegos (Doc players) provided all of the leadership the first 2 years, without them I see very little leadership out there. My other concern is the lack of improvement among many of our players this year, some have even seemed to regress this year.

I like what I've heard about our incoming recruits, but then remember that every other Big Ten team is bringing in recruits just as good or better. At a job like Nebraska, you have to be great at developing players because we are not going to get the All-Americans that Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, etc. get. And I'm not sure Miles' staff really excels at player development.

First off, I'm on the same page that I think Miles is the real deal.

That said, to call anyone who is questioning Miles a "Sadler fan" is baiting, pure and simple.

Maybe that team last year caught lightning in a bottle. Maybe it was due to the new facilities and amazing fan support. Maybe it was due to amazing coaching by Miles.

That said, as a pure neutral analyst, one has to question how a team returning 4 of 5 starters is now completely outmatched by teams that should not be heads and shoulders better than Nebraska, based on talent alone.

Let's see how he rebounds over the next couple of years. If Nebraska puts their heads back in the sand again, then those questions will be fair to pose.

Haith, the same Haith with questionable integrity and got caught with shady dealings with Shapiro at Miami? Or, a different Haith, one I'm not aware of.

As for as judging, you did just that in the other thread.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

chico, it isn't a blanket statement covering everyone. There are specific Sadler fans it's directed at and intended for. They fought for Sadler and made every excuse in the book, and were MIA on basketball till the last few weeks.

It's not coincidental either.

I praised Miles during last year's run as much as anybody. But I'm not going to be a homer and pretend like everything is okay this season, when it's clear that Miles has lost this team. Pretty tough to deny when even the ESPN announcers are ripping on him and saying it is the most lackadaisical team they've ever seen.

I praised Miles as much as anyone during last year's run. But I'm not going to be a homer and act like everything is okay this season, when he has clearly lost this team. Even the ESPN announcers were saying it's the most lackadaisical team they've ever seen. I don't think I've ever heard announcers criticize a team's effort more than I have with this year's Nebraska Basketball team.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
chico, it isn't a blanket statement covering everyone. There are specific Sadler fans it's directed at and intended for. They fought for Sadler and made every excuse in the book, and were MIA on basketball till the last few weeks.

It's not coincidental either.
Are there really Sadler fans (outside of just being a good guy)?

If you were/are a Sadler fan and believe Nebraska would be in a better place with him at the helm over Miles, please present yourself.

I believe to say Sadler fans exist is similar to saying Callahan fans exist.

Sorry HC, the seasons been over, it didn't just happen the other night or last week. This season is a disappointment, but the program trajectory is not. That's something quite a few are ignoring, and it seems you're in that category. This is a doormat program, for many of years. One coach changed that, in his second season and has a history of building programs. It's not being a homer defending the man, it's being a realistic looking at what's already happened and what the immediate future looks like.

Criticize all you want however, have enough evidence - which there clearly isn't - to defend the stance when challenged. One year doesn't support you and citing Sammy Mac is beyond ludicrous, it's downright stupid.

chico, false on the Sadler/Callahan comment. In this very thread you'll find a big fan of Sadler, and the few responses shouldn't make it difficult to understand.

http://www.jimphelanaward.com/history.php

MILES WINS 2014 JIM PHELAN AWARD

DALLAS, TX -- Nebraska's Tim Miles is the recipient of the 2014 Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year award.

Miles becomes the first Nebraska men’s basketball coach to earn a national coach-of-the-year award.

Miles turned around the fortunes of the Husker basketball program, as he guided Nebraska to a 19-13 record and the school’s first NCAA appearance since 1998. The Big Ten Coach of the Year by the conference coaches, Miles led the Huskers to an 11-7 Big Ten mark after the Huskers were picked 12th in the preseason poll.

Nebraska’s fourth-place finish was its best finish since 1998, while the 11 conference wins were the program’s highest conference win total since the 1965-66 season. After a 1-5 start in conference action, Nebraska won 10 of its final 12 Big Ten games, including wins at No. 9 Michigan State and No. 9 Wisconsin, the first time since 1994 that NU knocked off a pair of top-10 teams in the same season.

He is the second Big Ten coach to receive the honor, joining Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan in 2008. The Jim Phelan Award is presented annually to the nation's top Division I coach.

The award is named in honor of Jim Phelan who coached his entire career at Mount Saint Mary's University. He led the Mountaineers to the 1962 NCAA Men's Division II Basketball Championship.

When he retired in 2003, after coaching for 49 years, he amassed 830 wins (overall record of 830-524) in over 1,300 games in all divisions. In those 49 years, 19 of his teams amassed 20 or more wins in a season.

Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
I thought that Gregg Marshall was national coach of the year last season.
The prominent ones, AP and Naismith, yes. Miles took in a newer, less-historical variety, named after Jim Phelan and presented by CollegeInsider.com, fwiw.

Originally posted by mel mains:
Originally posted by JohnRossEwing:
I thought that Gregg Marshall was national coach of the year last season.
The prominent ones, AP and Naismith, yes. Miles took in a newer, less-historical variety, named after Jim Phelan and presented by CollegeInsider.com, fwiw.
That makes more sense...thanks!

Sadler fans? For real? All he was, was a steward for the team. Couldnt recruit for shit, and once claimed that a shot clock violation is like a punt in football!?!? I know the basketball program has been garbage since forever, that dont mean you settle for standards like that. I could care less about this years shitty season. At least we know miles can get us to the NCAA tourney. In basketball you can turn things around instantly the very next year. Its not like football where more than likely it takes 2 or 3 years. Miles haters can go eat a shitburger.....

Miles will be fine...the guy can coach. What will be interesting to see is if he learns some lessons from this year. Obviously, he has lost the team now. It sounds like he has learned that sometimes he needs to keep his mouth shut. Hopefully he has also learned that we have to have shooters. Finally, I hope he has learned some things about teach chemistry...not only what works but what doesn't work.

I expect next year to be much, much better. Patience is needed by the naysayers.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
...It sounds like he has learned that sometimes he needs to keep his mouth shut...
Curious what even you are referring to here. Also, why do you say he regrets saying whatever he said at said event.

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
...It sounds like he has learned that sometimes he needs to keep his mouth shut...
Curious what even you are referring to here. Also, why do you say he regrets saying whatever he said at said event.
He does, however, wish he'd not made the punishment so public.
"That's my only regret, is opening my big mouth. I was just PO'd enough that I brought it up," Miles said, referring to his postgame news conference declaration after Sunday's lethargic 74-46 home loss to Iowa that upset the third-year coach.

I’m like my team — irrational and showed no patience.

This post was edited on 2/27 3:59 PM by Tulsa Tom

Miles regrets "opening [his] big mouth"

Originally posted by Harry Caray:
Didn't Frank Haith win that a couple of years ago at Missouri?

The point is, you can't truly judge a coach until about Year 5. Lots of coaches have some success initially and then suck once they have all of their own players. Pelini looked like the savior after Year 2 as well. My concern is the attitude and lack of effort of many of Miles' recruits. Ubel and Gallegos (Doc players) provided all of the leadership the first 2 years, without them I see very little leadership out there. My other concern is the lack of improvement among many of our players this year, some have even seemed to regress this year.

I like what I've heard about our incoming recruits, but then remember that every other Big Ten team is bringing in recruits just as good or better. At a job like Nebraska, you have to be great at developing players because we are not going to get the All-Americans that Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana, etc. get. And I'm not sure Miles' staff really excels at player development.
3 key parts to this team Shields. Rivers and Parker are all Sadler Recruits.

The rest all fall on Miles

* Petteway - great player and would probably start for any team in the league -Wisconsin but would get 20+ Minutes

* Leslie Smith - Decent post player and was a hole filler Juco recruit in Miles first year as coach

* Fuller - You can see flashes and he is a red shirt Freshman

* Tarin Smith - True Freshman who is currently our best point guard and has improved throughout the year

* Hammond - True Freshman and the jury is still out, no one has seen enough (Can't fault Miles for playing him, we had no other post when both Smith and Abraham were down)

* Abraham - Swing and a miss... everyone has them

* Webster - Over hyped player coming in, and FF is the only person that said he was that good. I thought for sure he would do better than he has shown. Probably the biggest disappointment so far, but he is only a Sophmore. Him, Petteway and T. Smith are the most athletic kids on the team

Kids that are coming in

* Andrew White - Kansas transfer was a ESPN 100 Recruit, the shooter we have been missing

* Ed Morrow - ESPN 100 - owning ESPN Top 20 players all year, including two 7'0 footers rated number 3 and 5 in nation respectively. Underrated because of his size.

* Glynn Watson - ESPN 100 - Finally a true point guard, something we haven't had for a LONG ASS TIME

* Jacobson - Kid is going to be very similar to what Rivers is now

* Jack M. - Don't know enough, but I think he is going to be a Stanhardinger clone minus the "Dirtiness"

I'm a season ticket holder and have been following them far to long to have people come on here and start bashing Miles. Anyone that does think he needs to be fired is a band wagon fan anyways, and Opinion is irrelevant. We have way to much talent coming in to give up now.

Patience - Miles will get us to where we need to be

This post was edited on 2/27 4:23 PM by big red22

Originally posted by Harry Caray:
I praised Miles as much as anyone during last year's run. But I'm not going to be a homer and act like everything is okay this season, when he has clearly lost this team. Even the ESPN announcers were saying it's the most lackadaisical team they've ever seen. I don't think I've ever heard announcers criticize a team's effort more than I have with this year's Nebraska Basketball team.
I gotta give Miles a little bit of a pass, because his most productive players' mom is going through cancer treatment. Being the fiery, emotional player TP is, I can't imagine this isn't impacting his life more than he shows. It's been a terribly disappointing season, but I will give Miles a pass. If we don't make the tourney next year though, you gotta think he is going to be in trouble.

If we don't make the tourney next year though, you gotta think he is going to be in trouble.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No way is Miles job in jeopardy if they don't make the tourney next year.

Originally posted by kaz36:
If we don't make the tourney next year though, you gotta think he is going to be in trouble.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree but another year like this and there will be people starting to wonder and possibly lose interest.

Sorry, but I disagree. If he has all the talent back from this year, plus White, and a talented class coming in, and he doesn't make the NCAA tourney, his seat will be very warm. I don't think we'll find out, because with all of the additions, I think we will be a team to contend with. But if we don't make the tournament with all that talent, after a failure of a season this year, the rumblings will be very loud. And they should be..

Does criticism of the team this year automatically make one a Sadler fan?

One should read a few threads before asking a question. I know that's difficult for you...

Don't have the time I used to to have comb most of the threads. Not sure what I'm supposed to be reading, but I do know how to read. Just find the premise of the OP post questionable.

His job will not be in jeopardy next year if we dont make the tourney, just depends on what kind of a year we had. If we have another year like this year...people are going to really start to ask questions (as they should), but his job will not be in jeopardy. If by year 5 he puts the same shi# show offense and year we had this year in year 5? He is DEFINITELY on the hot seat.

You can sing kum bay yaha all you want about this year and make every and any excuse in the book for HCTM for THIS year, it still doesnt change the fact that he did a POOR coaching job this year PERIOD> NO other way to slice it. From player development to coaching and motivating the team, he coached this year like he was way in over his head. Wonder why that is?

Now if he turns things around next year, then great, but I am leaning more towards next year not being so hot, because to be honest, I dont think TM is all that and a bag of chips. This year showed his coaching prowess, and it showed a LOT more about his coaching acumen then people want to admit and his coaching prowess and acumen in a big boy league is not "all that". CSU is a long way from Nebraska and the B10 one of the premier conferences in the country.

To me, Miles is the right guy. Unlike our previous head football coach (which doesn't have a correlation to basketball but it's a fun analogy to use), I can almost guarantee that he will make adjustments needed over the offseason. The team will be fresh next year, with Miles being able to look down the bench and get some shooters out there on the court. I have no idea why people are after Miles so much...Nebraska basketball has not been used to consistent success, and the know-it-all fans act like we've been there for ages. Look at Coach K's track record. His first season was a winning one at Duke, but then his second and third years at Duke he struggled. I really believe Miles will turn it around, like he did last year. Solid recruits and a tranfer seem to be ready to take the Big Red dancing much, much more in the future.

(http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tim-miles-thinks-ex-jayhawk-andrew-white-iii-can-be/article_49a2cd5a-2716-11e4-9d81-0017a43b2370.html)

Our basketball program is like a toddler right now. We learned how to walk last year, but this year we haven't figured out how to climb up the stairs. In the next few years, we will. I am convinced Tim Miles will learn from this season and help that toddler get up the stairs. Obviously, Coach Miles did something right last year, as it was the first time since 1999 that the Nebraska basketball team made the NCAA tournament.

Originally posted by huskerhomie:

Water is wet, Boiler B gonna Boiler B.

Boiler going to be right unfortunately....And I hate that I am right about this....

Assuming Miles' tenure at Nebraska will end up as a failure is an intense overreaction. Read the OP's subject line again. This happened at Nebraska. It doesn't give Miles cart blanche to coach here indefinitely, but it's damning evidence that anyone wanting him fired is soft in the head.

Cripes, even Barry freaking Collier thinks this is madness.

Water is wet, Boiler B gonna Boiler B.
Boiler going to be right unfortunately....And I hate that I am right about this....
Yes, this year was bad. Yes, he did a poor job of coaching and motivating. But I imagine he would say that too. Next year will be better. Why? Because unlike some here I actually think winning at other schools matters. Go look at the turn around Miles brought to his last three schools. That wasn't all luck...one has to think he knows what he's doing.

His job will not be in jeopardy next year if we dont make the tourney, just depends on what kind of a year we had. If we have another year like this year...people are going to really start to ask questions (as they should), but his job will not be in jeopardy. If by year 5 he puts the same shi# show offense and year we had this year in year 5? He is DEFINITELY on the hot seat.

You can sing kum bay yaha all you want about this year and make every and any excuse in the book for HCTM for THIS year, it still doesnt change the fact that he did a POOR coaching job this year PERIOD> NO other way to slice it. From player development to coaching and motivating the team, he coached this year like he was way in over his head. Wonder why that is?

Now if he turns things around next year, then great, but I am leaning more towards next year not being so hot, because to be honest, I dont think TM is all that and a bag of chips. This year showed his coaching prowess, and it showed a LOT more about his coaching acumen then people want to admit and his coaching prowess and acumen in a big boy league is not "all that". CSU is a long way from Nebraska and the B10 one of the premier conferences in the country.
Living in Minnesota now, I don't get to follow basketball as much as I used to. But here's my question... What shows more? That he had a very strong year last year in a conference that was stronger than it is this year? Mich State, Mich, OSU all better last year than this year IMHO. Or does his bad season this year show more?

My opinion is that it is much easier to hvae a sucky year where things just don't go the right way than it is to have an amazing year where everything seems to go right. Way too many factors that can bring a team down... How does the reverse happen?

In my opinion, what happened last year shows coaching prowess much more than what is happening this year. I don't see how a bad coach gets a team picked 12th in the Big Ten (12 teams last year) has a 4th place finish, unless he coached really well.

dingle, I claimed him as property a couple years ago.
I meant Husker Homie and Boiler B.
blush.r191677.gif
Man his drivel is getting old. What's interesting is the length of the novels he writes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT