ADVERTISEMENT

Are we not talking about aging and why my back hurts every morning now that I'm 32?

there is a reason you just have to find it. I had the same problem and the chair I used first thing in the morning to check email was the culprit.

Well, I have it on good authority .....that.....Getting old ain't for wussies. Let's just put it that way. You are just entering your intellectual prime though, so there is that.

If your back hurts in the morning, maybe it's your mattress that's getting old. Can make a huge difference.

getting old sucks. What's 40 like?

You're just a pup. (BTW, my oldest daughter is 32). You're as old as you want to be.Here's an example. I'm 54, 5'8", 162 lb and put on my full set of gear yesterday, including my airpack, along with all my tools & crawled through an entire maze in the dark in a Firefighter Survival box.Took me 14+ minutes. It totally sucked, shoulders getting pinned, holes in the floor, wires in my way, crawling through a studded wall(yes 16" on center). Did I feel all my age? Oh hell yes but I finished it. My point, do some exercises, strengthen the abs to support the lower back amongst other things.It doesn't take that long. You don't have to exercise hours on end. Not saying that will help, as some people have chronic back problems, but a lot of ailments can be alleviated. Talk to your Dr, then see a trainer at a fitness center if you're really serious about trying to make this better. 32 is way too young to feel old. JMO

You're just a pup. (BTW, my oldest daughter is 32). You're as old as you want to be.Here's an example. I'm 54, 5'8", 162 lb and put on my full set of gear yesterday, including my airpack, along with all my tools & crawled through an entire maze in the dark in a Firefighter Survival box.Took me 14+ minutes. It totally sucked, shoulders getting pinned, holes in the floor, wires in my way, crawling through a studded wall(yes 16" on center). Did I feel all my age? Oh hell yes but I finished it. My point, do some exercises, strengthen the abs to support the lower back amongst other things.It doesn't take that long. You don't have to exercise hours on end. Not saying that will help, as some people have chronic back problems, but a lot of ailments can be alleviated. Talk to your Dr, then see a trainer at a fitness center if you're really serious about trying to make this better. 32 is way too young to feel old. JMO
Not going to lie, I use the amount of time I travel to lazily explain away my lack of exercise, if i'm going to keep this up, I need to work on that. Not fat by any measurement, but that doesn't mean I am in shape.

I didnt ever think about the mattress angle, Schuele, for the fact that I only sleep on it half of the year, may be time to get a real nice one.

Yeah I don't think people need to spend thousands on the latest high-tech mattress, but sleeping on an old, worn one can be a killer. And the time to address it is before you develop serious back problems. Could be a good investment for you.

Yeah I don't think people need to spend thousands on the latest high-tech mattress, but sleeping on an old, worn one can be a killer. And the time to address it is before you develop serious back problems. Could be a good investment for you.

We bought a "Sleep Number" a few years ago. WOW what a difference. I set mine on 85 & the wife sets hers on 70. Huge difference. We love it.

When I was in high school, I would have bet a million dollars that I wouldn't start "feeling old" until I was in my 40's or 50's.

I started feling on when I was 26!! Now I am 33 and feel old all the time.

Like you jaw, I am not fat either, but that doesn't mean I am in shape! I always have an excuse for exercising or even just stretching, but I bet if I would just jog a couple miles a week and stretch that I wouldn't feel as old as I do after I exert a lot of energy at work.

Sure makes me wonder what the next 40 years have in store for me if I hardly do any exercise to stay in shape.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

On a side note, I hate this new format when using my phone because I can never click where I want to. For some reason I have to click to the right of everything to open anything (all topics). I just get a blue highlighted box to the lower left of everywhere I touch the screen.
I started this post on my phone (cpu now), but messed up and tried to click back in the text, but it wouldn't allow me to click anywhere in the text and when it finally did, it was at the top of my post and there is no down arrow for the cursor!

Can't speak for everyone, but for me and some of the friends I hang with....all of our alcohol intake went up...even if ever so slightly, as we hit our 40's.

Aw Sarky you are still a pup.Cool

Reactions: sparky62
I'm 43 and it sucks. Back surgery in my 30's, sholder surgery at 42, no energy, memory stinks. I'm just praying the good Lord let's me reach 70 but also don't want to live long enough to where I can't take care of myself.

Any lingering back pain should be checked by the doctor. My back started having annoyances in my late 20s, but I thought nothing of it and it stayed solid into my 40s. However, one year I let my activity level slip just a bit - and I really don't mean much - and that small loss of core strength that was supporting my spine lead to a blown disk. MRI revealed spinal misalignment and a weak disk I never knew about. I was horizontal for 3 weeks, and off work for 5 or 6. It could have been much worse. Regaining strength, maintaining posture and better sleep got it recovered, but the same disk will eventually rupture again.

Back surgery at 35 for me. Never been the same since.
Used to run 50 miles a week religiously. Now I walk the dog 10-15 miles a week.

Last edited:
I got some shoulder issues that flare up from time to time, but never had any real back issues, which I am thankful for, because I think that would be the absolute worst.

I turn 56 tomorrow.....and its been a crappy 15 months. I only share to encourage everyone to take time for YOU. I havent taken care of me.....always too busy taking care of everyone else or working. My back finally gave out about 15 months ago...after years of nursing....now I have permanent 30 lb lifting restrictions. In December I fell and messed up my knee...so had surgery for that. Same fall.....tore my rotator cuff....now have a frozen shoulder. And to top it off? Im going in for hernia repair in 2 weeks. Good news is that I have now been confronted with getting weight off. Take care of YOU!!!

30 was the worst year of my life. 40 was good. 50 was better. 60 was good, but the body starts disintegrating in places. Takes longer to pee. You will find that minor physical injuries earlier in life will nag at you as you age. If you sprained a thumb or an ankle in early life, it will likely throb later in life. And if a certain part of your anatomy throbbed a lot early in life, not so much later on. . . .

Reactions: Cornicator
Exercise is certainly not easy. But I worked out a lot through my 20s and into my early 30s. At age 31, I suffered a broken ankle and tore a bunch of ligaments. This kept me out of that gym for 9 months. Shortly thereafter, i got married. The wife and I then had twin boys. During that 3 year hiatus, I often felt like crap. I also gained about 25 pounds and was a tub of goo.

At the start of 2015, I committed to getting back to the gym. I exercise daily through lifting and cardio. I look better than I did 5 years ago, and I now feel much better. I also stretch better than I ever did before. IMO, that stretching regiment really alleviates back pain and soreness.

Reactions: lrpc_a_nctc.net
I'm 43 and it sucks. Back surgery in my 30's, sholder surgery at 42, no energy, memory stinks. I'm just praying the good Lord let's me reach 70 but also don't want to live long enough to where I can't take care of myself.
I hate to even comment on this because I am so tired of preaching. I am 65 have no pain take no prescriptions can still go out and run a couple miles. Walk when I golf. I started the journey to a healthy lifestyle in 1980. I use a holistic approach that includes exercise, supplementation, hydration, sleep, diet to name a few. Most people take better care of their cars then they do their own bodies. One of my favorite sayings is If God made it eat it if man made it avoid it or use moderation. Staying healthy isn't about living forever but being able to enjoy a good quality of life as you age. The young think they will live forever and the old wonder what happened.

Reactions: HuskerO
Lose weight, fix your posture, get a better bed, dont sit in the same position for long periods of time

Everybody is different but for me age has little effect on my back... The flatter my stomach and the lower my weight the better I feel... and the less of any pain I suffer... Oh and watch our for high impact sports... gave up water skiing and snow skiing. I am 68 and I have less back problems now than when I was in my 40's.

My back pain came from sleeping on my stomach. Working on fixing the root problem, but back extensions and deadlifts have helped strengthen the muscles around the area. Might try to work some of those in, as well as stretching. As you get older, stretching becomes exponentially important

I have a round bed.
I think sleeping in a round bed makes everything better.
You should get a round bed.

For those who mention stretching exercises, any suggestions?

For the lower back, laying on the floor with your butt against the wall and your legs straight up the wall provides a very good stretch.

All of you are a bunch of wussy crybabies. I'm 69 and walk 2 miles on rough uneven terrain. Both knees inside are bone on bone and outside only 90% gone. Seven crushed vertibraes(sp) in lower back. People ask how do you do it? I say "no choice". I'm tough.

Yikes. Can't even get there. Feels like the muscles in the back of my legs are about to snap.

Yeah it's a bit of an eye-opener the first time you try it. But just cheat a little bit at first, then move closer to the wall the next couple of times. You'll get there pretty fast, and it does great things for the lower back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT