ADVERTISEMENT

Andy Staples' Sports Illustrated Article

Aug 1, 2002
I read this article on another Husker website and was surprised there wasn't more discussion around it. Staples looks at various college football programs and comments on what their "brand" should be.

Staples is adamant that Cornhusker football should return to its roots that made it so successful in the first place: the option offense. His reasoning is that it will be continually difficult to recruit elite QB's and lineman because of our "isolated location". We should focus on going after the "Tommie Frazier's" out there and not try to be like everybody else---we did it before, why are we trying to reinvent the wheel? I think he has a point. If we are going to compete with a pro-style offense, won't we need the same or better talent than Alabama and Ohio St.? How likely is that to happen on Lincoln? Even T.O. himself was doubtful a pro-style offense could be successful in the Nebraska climate.

Staples mentions that our "administration" doesn't seem interested in returning to it's powerful roots. Who is he referring to? Perlman? Our A.D.? I thought it was an interesting article and makes me wonder how MR & Co. will adapt to Lincoln. I'm ready for some glory years again! GBR.

Last edited:
The option offense would bring us consistent regular season success, and few championships. Which we already have.

There's too much time too game plan before the bowl season. The option attack is difficult to grasp if you have 6 days to plan for it, but when a talented defense has 3-4 weeks to do so and they can fly around the field while understanding their assignments, not so much.

That article is dumb.

He says we should go back to running a triple option... which we never ran. Exactly how do you go back to something you never did in the first place ?

Ok so maybe he misspoke and just wants us to go back to any type of option based offense.. in that case clearly he missed the entire last seven years or so of college football here.

2nd he says we should go for the Tommie Fraziers and not elite qb's. Frazier was a parade all american qb as well as a usa today all american qb. He was also highly recruited at qb.. fsu wanted him at athlete because they also had Kannel committedin the same class.. but Notre Dame sure wanted him at qb. Clemson sure wanted him at qb. Syracuse wanted him at qb.. and so did at least a dozen others.

And his whole we can't get nfl linemen to come to this part of the country is so idiotic it doesn't even justify rebuttal.

Last edited:
And his whole we can't get nfl linemen to come to this part of the country is so idiotic it doesn't even justify rebuttal
He's right, we can't get good linemen and good QBs to come to Lincoln due to no mountains, beaches or big-city nightlife. Those players instead go to world-class hot spots such as Eugene, South Bend, Norman, Oxford, MS, and Tuscaloosa (sarcasm). I really get tired of the argument players won't come to Lincoln for whatever excuse.

He's right, we can't get good linemen and good QBs to come to Lincoln due to no mountains, beaches or big-city nightlife. Those players instead go to world-class hot spots such as Eugene, South Bend, Norman, Oxford, MS, and Tuscaloosa (sarcasm). I really get tired of the argument players won't come to Lincoln for whatever excuse.

Can I get an "amen" here!! I was always excited about potential. Riley is piquing my interest. GBR

Reactions: ehenningsen
That article is dumb.

He says we should go back to running a triple option... which we never ran. Exactly how do you go back to something you never did in the first place ?

Ok so maybe he misspoke and just wants us to go back to any type of option based offense.. in that case clearly he missed the entire last seven years or so of college football here.

2nd he says we should go for the Tommie Frasiers and not elite qb's. Frasier was a parade all american qb as well as a usa today all american qb. He was also highly recruited at qb.. fsu wanted him at athlete because they also had Kannel committedin the same class.. but Notre Dame sure wanted him at qb. Clemson sure wanted him at qb. Syracuse wanted him at qb.. and so did at least a dozen others.

And his whole we can't get nfl linemen to come to this part of the country is so idiotic it doesn't even justify rebuttal.

Yes!

Thread winner!

Yeah thread winner!

...with the exception that his name is spelled Frazier. Normally I wouldn't care. But come on.
The post I declared the "thread winner" was not the same post as the post with the misspelling, nor was it posted by the same person, ergo, I say again, thread winner.

That article is dumb.

2nd he says we should go for the Tommie Frasiers and not elite qb's. Frasier was a parade all american qb as well as a usa today all american qb. He was also highly recruited at qb.. fsu wanted him at athlete because they also had Kannel committedin the same class.. but Notre Dame sure wanted him at qb. Clemson sure wanted him at qb. Syracuse wanted him at qb.. and so did at least a dozen others.

Nailed it. Well done.

Actually, I think his opinion has less to do with what he thinks will make us successful, and more to do with making us easier to define from a journalistic perspective. In the past, we were an easy, ready-made story because we were the program with the offense that was different from just about everybody else. It really is comical though to read a national sportswriter saying we should go back to the option when you consider how many times in the past we had sportswriters telling us that we needed to ditch that antiquated, prehistoric offense.

Without playing great defense the offense will not matter. We should be able to field great defenses if coached correctly

Correction...we do get highly touted qbs to come here. They dont get developed but we tend to land 4 star qbs. 2 elite 11 in a couple years now.

Also we always get top 25 recruiting classes despite not doing CRAP since 2001. Win some big 10 titles and sone big bowls and we can get talent like Ohio state and Florida state

Snowhomish I believe your D wishes are in the works. We are raw at some positions; but if youth can serve we will see several great efforts; while being more consistent in other games. Coaching and adjustments should be far and away better; lack of leadership meltdowns, should disappear. .... For the O, screens and sweeps will really pressure opposing D's ; will see speed breakouts from the backfield.

I think one thing people miss when talking about going back to the option, is that we are missing the genius playcaller who perfected that offense back when it worked. It took a lot of experimentation and highs and lows to calibrate that offense over the course of however many years, and I don't know if there's another guy out there like Osborne who could make it all work again. Plus, there are wayyyy fewer high schools out there running the option as well. Sure a lot of recruits could figure it out and make it work, but out of necessity we would be getting a lot of players who are not ready-made for that type of offense.

I loved the option game, and I loved that it made us unique, and if it was feasible or realistic, it WOULD be cool to go back to that style. But the game has changed too much.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
GA Tech has probably the best true option based attack and coach/play caller in college football. They win 8 games a year. No thanks on a return to the option.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
This guy has no clue what he is talking about. The whole kids don't want to come to Lincoln was what Bo and Co. fed to the media to justify their mediocre recruiting efforts, With the exception of Miami, USC and UCLA very few big time football programs are in a large metropolitan areas. The type of Offense doesn't matter as long as you're putting points on the board, If Oregon can dominate college football with a simple package offense and tempo, any offense can be successful. If our administration wasn't interested in winning championships they'd have let Bo stay and win his 9 games a year.

Opinions are opinions. Some are right, some are wrong. That's why leaders, CEOs, head coaches, etc. make a lot of money or get fired. The journalist may be right that Nebraska could get back to elite status by returning to the option attack. Of course, that may set the program back further if elite athletes don't want to play in a college-only system.

I, for one, think the teams that mix a mobile QB with a power run game AND a serviceable passing game are most successful - this is happening in the NFL also. I don't think a Georgia Tech system will have sustainability, but I could be wrong. I'm also not paid the millions that head coaches and Athletic Directors are paid to make these decisions.

It's interesting to read comments about how "the game has changed too much" to run the option again. With all due respect (and I mean that), I'll share a quick story. I happened to be talking with an older gentleman last summer who used to work in the Athletic Dept. In Lincoln. I asked him what he thought about the Husker football team these days and whether he thought it was on the right track. He paused after I asked him the question and said to me, "you know, i think they are on the right track, but you have to have pretty good players to win most of the games". I thought about that a lot because as simple as it is, it really comes down to that. You have to have Really good players. He also said that he thought the lifelong relationships developed amongst the players, coaches, and staff turned out to be more important than the actual wins and losses, but he understood we as fans focus on the wins and losses because that is how we connect to each other.

Finally, I asked the gentleman about the types of offenses Nebraska has run over the years because he had been around so many of them by working in the Athletic Dept., he'd seen them all. He said the coaches and players really enjoyed the "I" formation because it told both teams right away which one was going to have their way that particular day. Either the offense had enough talent and strength to beat the defense or the defense was going stop you dead in your tracks and it was going to be like running in to a brick wall all day. Obviously, he said, they seemed to be having a lot more fun when the offense couldn't be stopped and they racked up all the yardage and td's.

Finally I asked him in today's college football environment whether he thought that old option football offense would still work. He looked up at me and looked me straight in the eye and said without hesitation...."absolutely, no doubt, and it would be really fun," Oh by the way, that old Gentleman that used to work in the Athletic Dept. was a guy by the name of Tom Osborne who I had she privilege to speak to for several minutes that day and listen to some very entertaining and funny stories.

I really hope that MR is wildly successful in Lincoln (in fact, I can't wait to see the new Huskers!) but if for some reason, he isn't, I would sure love to see TO's optimism tested. GBR.

It's interesting to read comments about how "the game has changed too much" to run the option again. With all due respect (and I mean that), I'll share a quick story. I happened to be talking with an older gentleman last summer who used to work in the Athletic Dept. In Lincoln. I asked him what he thought about the Husker football team these days and whether he thought it was on the right track. He paused after I asked him the question and said to me, "you know, i think they are on the right track, but you have to have pretty good players to win most of the games". I thought about that a lot because as simple as it is, it really comes down to that. You have to have Really good players. He also said that he thought the lifelong relationships developed amongst the players, coaches, and staff turned out to be more important than the actual wins and losses, but he understood we as fans focus on the wins and losses because that is how we connect to each other.

Finally, I asked the gentleman about the types of offenses Nebraska has run over the years because he had been around so many of them by working in the Athletic Dept., he'd seen them all. He said the coaches and players really enjoyed the "I" formation because it told both teams right away which one was going to have their way that particular day. Either the offense had enough talent and strength to beat the defense or the defense was going stop you dead in your tracks and it was going to be like running in to a brick wall all day. Obviously, he said, they seemed to be having a lot more fun when the offense couldn't be stopped and they racked up all the yardage and td's.

Finally I asked him in today's college football environment whether he thought that old option football offense would still work. He looked up at me and looked me straight in the eye and said without hesitation...."absolutely, no doubt, and it would be really fun," Oh by the way, that old Gentleman that used to work in the Athletic Dept. was a guy by the name of Tom Osborne who I had she privilege to speak to for several minutes that day and listen to some very entertaining and funny stories.

I really hope that MR is wildly successful in Lincoln (in fact, I can't wait to see the new Huskers!) but if for some reason, he isn't, I would sure love to see TO's optimism tested. GBR.

Schematically a team could dominate with a power running attack featuring option, tackling and physicality are both lacking in a big way in college football right now. The problem is that there are fewer option QBs to recruit than in the past and there are very few coaches well schooled in the option. I think the key to our long success was not so much the option, which we really only ran a few times a game, but our power running game and QB mobility. If you can establish those things you can build off of them with any number of things, including a good passing game.

Reactions: huskerj12
GA Tech has probably the best true option based attack and coach/play caller in college football. They win 8 games a year. No thanks on a return to the option.

You got that right. Until they got Justin Thomas under center, Atlanta was ready to run Johnson out of town. That being said, I would've been excited to get him here. NU is easier to recruit to than GT.

To compare GT and Nebraska is not at all comparing apples to apples. The logic of saying "Well, GT wins 8 games a year, so the same system will result in 8 wins at Nebraska" is flawed. A) The caliber of player at GT is vastly inferior to the caliber of player that comes to Nebraska. B) The history, tradition, fans, facilities at Nebraska are vastly superior than GT.

I'm not here to say that the option offense is the way to go, but I am saying that we can't make a blanket statement that because GT wins 8 games a year that it is fair to project that one team's performance on what Nebraska would do.

To compare GT and Nebraska is not at all comparing apples to apples. The logic of saying "Well, GT wins 8 games a year, so the same system will result in 8 wins at Nebraska" is flawed. A) The caliber of player at GT is vastly inferior to the caliber of player that comes to Nebraska. B) The history, tradition, fans, facilities at Nebraska are vastly superior than GT.

I'm not here to say that the option offense is the way to go, but I am saying that we can't make a blanket statement that because GT wins 8 games a year that it is fair to project that one team's performance on what Nebraska would do.
Wait a second, does that mean we can't hold Mike Riley's record at Oregon State as a projection of what he will do here? Sounds fishy... Cool

I've spoken to a couple other member here offline about what NU's offense would have evolved to had Solich been able to stay. Would the option still be a part of what we do? Do you think we would have morphed into an Oregon type spread?

As other posters have stated, finding a Turner Gill or Tommie Frazier type talent to run the show at the QB position is nearly impossible. QB's want their shot at going to the NFL and that will not happen as an option QB. It was fun back in the day, but I would much rather see NU progress to a pro style offense with a power running aspect. I don't necessarily mean the WCO, but more along the lines of the Steelers or an Alabama style.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
As other posters have stated, finding a Turner Gill or Tommie Frazier type talent to run the show at the QB position is nearly impossible. QB's want their shot at going to the NFL and that will not happen as an option QB. It was fun back in the day, but I would much rather see NU progress to a pro style offense with a power running aspect. I don't necessarily mean the WCO, but more along the lines of the Steelers or an Alabama style.

I dont think it would be that hard to find a really good athlete who wants the ball in his hand every play. Who could pull up and hit a tight end dragging across the middle. If you're a great athlete, the nfl will find a place for you.

Snowhomish I believe your D wishes are in the works. We are raw at some positions; but if youth can serve we will see several great efforts; while being more consistent in other games. Coaching and adjustments should be far and away better; lack of leadership meltdowns, should disappear. .... For the O, screens and sweeps will really pressure opposing D's ; will see speed breakouts from the backfield.
I sure hope so - trust me but Banker has not shown he can field top defenses yet - maybe it will be different here

I sure hope so - trust me but Banker has not shown he can field top defenses yet - maybe it will be different here

Banker hasn't had two former DC's coaching with him either. The whole defensive staff (Hughes, Bray, and Stewart) are all going to have huge input into what the defense is doing. Unlike the Bo show, where it was PeLLLLini's way or the highway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT