ADVERTISEMENT

Ambidextrous Pitcher vs. Switch Hitter

I think there is a rule now MLB, that forces a pitcher to declare with hand he will be throwing with and mandates that he use that hand for the entire at bat.

was listening to Nick Bahe on 1620 and I think he said because of Venditte, the MLB made a rule that you may change from right to left as a pitcher during the at-bat, but no more than once. Same goes for the switch hitter in this circumstance.

No. The rule is that the pitcher must declare first and then the batter may choose from which side of the plate to bat.

I would prefer that the hitter is forced to declare first, only because of the sheer rarity that is an ambidextrous pitcher. It would also be an even more valuable weapon for a manager, knowing they would always have the ability to be righty on righty or lefty on lefty.

I would prefer that the hitter is forced to declare first, only because of the sheer rarity that is an ambidextrous pitcher. It would also be an even more valuable weapon for a manager, knowing they would always have the ability to be righty on righty or lefty on lefty.
Teams know which wide they want a hitter to hit from. Better for the defense for them to declare first.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT