ADVERTISEMENT

1st game at Pinnacle Arena for me

artguy68

Junior
Nov 3, 2008
I don't live in Nebraska anymore, so the Indiana game was my first opportunity to see the Huskers play in their new arena. I used to go to games with my dad from the late 70's on, and then as a student at UNL. Jack Moore, Brian Carr, Andre Smith, Carl McPipe, Dave Hoppen, Stan Cloudy, Brian Downing, Harvey Marshall, Beau Reid, Rich King, Erick Strickland, Jerry Shoemaker... so many fun games and players to remember! It was certainly fun to see the new(ish) coach, the new arena, the team, the aura. Things have certainly changed. Here's some observations:

1. There's not a bad seat in the house. If you had to sit up high at Devaney, you needed binoculars.

2. We now have better music, particularly at the intros. The football stadium should take note. (Allan Parsons Project still? Really?)

3. Poor entrance to the arena. People standing in long lines outside in the frigid cold waiting on too few people scanning tickets slowly.

4. Needs more art/displays. I didn't get to look around too much, but where I did get to go was rather sparse.

5. The team needs bigs. We all know this, but wow was it glaringly apparent in person. What a difference Smith would have made.

6. Parker, Smith, and Rivers need to shoot the ball when they are wide open and get over their fear. Indiana didn't even bother to guard them on offense, meaning both Shields and Petteway were always double teamed.

7. Webster needs to assert himself. He did well when he did, with one really nice drive. He only tried once or twice.

8. Too many silly "let's involve the crowd" stuff. The only one I liked was having the crowd guide the blindfolded guy to the $100 bill. The crowd cam seemed to be constant. We're at the game, we're cheering, quit putting the focus on us!

9. Fuller deserves more PT.

10. Parker's defense and quick hands are awesome, but he is a severe liability on offense. Anybody playing in the Big 10 should be able to make a mid-range jumper when wide open, surely he should at least try instead of passing it off or trying a circus-style lay up.

ADVERTISEMENT